Monday, January 10, 2022

HeWho Has No Concept Of Space

 The weekend was bitterly cold. We sat like slugs in front of the TV, warming our toes under blankets. Precious little was done in the way of packing.

I keep trying to impress the feeling of urgency on HeWho procrastinates. Mere weeks until moving day. Most of the packing on my part has been done. I have gathered all my stuff together and am ready to load the RV with all of our personal items necessary for day to day living.

HeWho procrastinates finally called for some moving estimates. I listened as he started listing stuff to be moved to the man. He was all over the place, forgetting, then adding stuff and then wondering what sort of space the various boxes and containers will take up inside a truck. Then wondering about the golf cart, deciding he should just pull it with his trailer, but then his wife would need to drive and can they add the car dolly to the truck.

The man on the other end of the line was so very patient and accomodating. I sat there in silence as I listened and he finally came back with a $7000 estimate. "WHAT" shouts my old man! Then he started telling the nice man that he could get the job done for half the price. That he had already gotten an estimate in writing!! Total bluff, but I figured I would just let him rant.

It occurs to me that we have turned into old people who like to reminisce about the prices of the good old days and refer to them as "just a few years ago". I wanted to call the nice man and back and apologize and thank him for his patience! I am usually on that side of a phone call dealing with people who have no clue about what they are asking for. 

The second call made to inquire about the cost of moving went a lot better. HeWho is one of those people who like to chat with the phone on speaker. Not a bad thing for him, since sometimes he can't hear clearly and I can stop him from replying stupidly to something he "thought" he heard. So when the new voice on the other end of the phone asked how many boxes would be involved, I raised my voice and talked over my old man. I told him all the boxes and such should fill a 5 X 8 space floor to ceiling. We have one bed, one mattress, no box springs, a table, 6 chairs, two glass front cabinets and a car dolly as well as two front porch rockers. Got the estimate for under $3000, made the reservation and paid the fee to hold it. Easy.

HeWho has no idea how I came up with that. I looked at the boxes and cleared a space in my old sewing room and figured they would all stack in the space I had mentioned. Today has been spent proving it.

The only way to get the trailer for hauling stuff to our new home is to pull it. This means I will definitely be driving with a car full of dogs. The cat and the turtle can ride with HeWho will be pulling the trailer. If Martha, the boy cat is anything like my old cat, Gremlin, he will find a hiding space as soon as he gets in the RV. I can put Dora, the adorable turtle in the shower in the RV and barricade her so that her habitat will not tip over as the RV goes around those tight curves into the higher elevation. Am I worried about the trip? Of course!

What If HeWho fails to secure the door to the bathroom and Martha discovers the opening at the top of Dora's habitat and kills her? What if HeWho accidentally loses Martha out the door when he stops for fuel and we can't find him? Yes, we have a kennel, already moved it. Besides that, Martha is not likely to behave in that kind of confinement. He might begin to howl and he can be really loud. 

The dogs will be fine. They have seat belts and should sleep most of the time once settled. Maybe the turtle should go with me. Then Martha can have the bathroom in the RV with his bed and litter box. That's a better plan. Dora can ride in the floor board of the front seat. Cujo will be in the front seat, while the three remaining dogs can share the backseat. This is NOT going to be a fun trip!

It has been a long day, my muscles are screaming. Tomorrow I will finish getting all the boxes into one room and finish cleaing the extra bedroom. Today I emptied 6 big trash cans into the dumpster. Still have two left to go out. 

Weather promises to warm Wednesday, so we can load the golfcart onto the trailer, along with the remaining planters, my wagon that dumps and all my garden tools. Then take apart my garden shed and load the parts. It is lightweight resin, plastic stuff and looks simple enough. Should make for a good post that day!!

5 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

More power to you! I'm through and through and through.

River said...

I think you have the best idea with you taking the turtle and Martha having the RV bathroom. I like how you can visualise the space needed for the boxes and other stuff. I can pack a suitcase really well, but when it comes to moving house I'm not so good. I'd prefer to pay people to come in and pack me up, load the truck and go while I get other transport and meet them at the destination. It's how we always did it when hubby was in the Army and we moved a lot.

Write from the Heart said...

What ARE you going to do when you finally land and have nothing pressing to do. Withdrawls?
Floorboards can heat up, so don't cook the turtle. I know you wish you were on your way.
My guy also answers questions he thinks he hears with ridiculous answers...and he has hearing aids, that must need tweaking. Costco seemed to be the most reasonable place for his, They have really changed our lives for the better.

ellen abbott said...

Moving day is nigh? does that mean the appraisal was problem free, funding has been secured, and closing day scheduled? Or are you just going come hell or high water. Abandoning ship as it were. I suppose the future new owner is taking care of the park while y'all are gone?

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Men.....................
Are so frustrating at times but we love them