Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Appraising the Appraisor

 As if this entire process has not made me crazy, this particular aspect of it has proven to be the most trying. We were assured that this man was an "EXPERT" in appraising campgrounds. Someone did not practice due diligence when choosing this expert.

This man is clueless and confused. The information he asked for had already been given to him on the day he was here. I was not impressed on that day and am even less impressed now. He seems to be totally ignorant about camping and RV's. Some of his questions could be answered by simply doing his job!

He texted all of his questions to HeWho was kind enough to offer his personal cell phone number. You might recall that I refused to give him mine. We have a business line and this is business and should be the channel through which imformation pertaining to the the campground. Am I right? This is rhetorical, as I already know I am right.

HeWho gives his cell number to everyone was going to try to text the information back to the clueless man, but I volunteered to call him myself. I asked if he still had my brochure with the map of the sites. And already, it begins. He says he has two, one black and white and another one with the seasonal sites on it. I only have ONE map and it is, indeed black and white. I have no clue what he was talking about, but, then neither did he.

I talked to him like I was talking to a camper when I am giving directions to a site. I told him to get his black and white map and follow along with me. He seemed to be confused about the markings and the legend that explained them. Some things have changed and we have not updated the map. I went over the each site with him and what ammenities each one had. He wanted to know how many 30 amp 'rustic' sites I have.

Rustic means no ammenities in campground terminology. So, there is no such thing as a rustic site with 30 amp electric. I kept my cool and calmly explained this to him. I had to explain how seasonal camping works and is charged as opposed to full time tenants. I was explaining everything in the simplest of terms and don't know how I could have "dumbed it down" anymore, but he still didn't understand that people full time camping live in their campers year round! Full time is self explanatory. He called back to get verification on that.

The most amazingly clueless question was about the power bills in 2019 and 2020. He wanted me to explain why the power bill for 2019 was so much less that the one for 2020! What happened, he wondered to cause it to increase so much? 

I wanted to ask him if he had been living under a log. 2019, pandemic, everyone stayed home. 2020 and the world was still crazy and everyone bought a camper and went camping. National news. And this is the man who will be telling the bank what my business is worth!


3 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Some people make us wonder what the hell...............

Joanne Noragon said...

The first year I had him, a new accountant asked why sales were so much lower that year vs. the previous year. It rained five show Saturdays of ten, I explained. He was fascinated, paid attention and became a good artist accountant for several people.

River said...

Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear. Who hired this clueless appraiser and can you tell them he has no idea and you need someone who does know what they and you are talking about? Aren't there regulations in the appraising industry that mean they must be able to understand things? Are they not part of the Real Estate Industry and trained?