Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Hell Hath No Fury ...

 The packing continues. The findings of the appraisal won't be available for two weeks. HeWho doesn't want to continue packing. If the appraisal is a tool to lower the selling price, then this buyer will not be buying. His thoughts are that we would then have to unpack and start the process over again. My thoughts lean the other way entirely.

If we won't know for two more weeks, I don't want to have to race to get everything ready to go. He says we can stipulate additional time to get packed up. I say I don't want to have to try to get everything in order while the new owner is here going about the business of running the campground in the same building we are currently living in. It would be hard for me not to voice my opinion. If he/they were to ask my opinion on something .... well, I would voice my thoughts. I want to be able to leave the day after the closing.

Besides, I am not packing the things we use everyday. I can still cook, do laundry and all the things necessary for day to day life. All my cookware, our clothes and personal grooming items will all fit in the RV. I have already moved our summer wardrobe to North Carolina and purged all those clothes we had stuck in the back of the closet that we never wear. A lot of my kitchen stuff is already there. The only hardship we have suffered in my kitchen is the lack of cake pans. I couldn't make a three layer German chocolate cake for HeWho loves cake. Instead I was "forced" to use a 9 X 13 pan and make just one layer. 

The cake pans are in North Carolina. So, the next time he gets a hankering for a three layer cake, we will just have to go to the new house to make one! Problem solved. I am really good at organizing a move. Everytime we move I vow it will be the last time!

When this adventure began, it had us moving mid October. This is when the buyer wanted to take possession. When he told us money was no issue and made his offer. His offer was less than we wanted, but considering that it would eliminate broker fees, we felt it was fair. Based on that and his assurance that the loan would be no issue, we purchased our new home.

I was ready to begin the process of moving. I did my research online and found what we were looking for. I narrowed my seach down to about 6 prospects and contacted a realtor in North Carolina. We were looking in Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, but I knew what I wanted the first time I saw it.

We made a trip to Georgia and stayed in a campground central to the prospects. It was raining and dreary, not optimal for house hunting, but there we were. Acting on the advice of the realtor, we set out in the car to do drive-bys to determine the accessibility for our 40' motorhome. We started in Hiawassee, Ga. We were staying there, so it only made sense to go find the area that had 3 prospects.

Siri went with us, guiding us along the way. Well, most of the time as we wound up into the mountain we loss cell coverage periodically. In the dreary gray light, none of the properties looked appealing. They all had a lot of tree coverage and were all brown, making them look dark and foreboding. One even looked scary!

We came down out of the winding roads, knowing that none of them would work with their steep drives and the fact that we lost cell coverage. I suggested a short ride to North Carolina, just 9 miles away. HeWho tends to think he knows everything, reminded me that it was over the budget we had set. I argued (and I do it well) that it had been on the market for some time and had recently had a decrease in price ... and that it cost nothing to look.

I had already moved us in. I looked at it everyday and knew I wanted to be there. I also knew that HeWho would love it. I had shown it to him online several times and everytime he said he liked it, but it was over our budget. He had already dismissed it in his mind. It wasn't that much over budget and budgets need to be flexible. I did not say as much to him, just rode and talked about the properties we have already seen.

We finally found the right turn and pulled down the private drive. It was still raining lightly as we parked the car. He sat there looking while I gathered leashes to give the canines a walk. He joined me and walked to the edge of the ravine and looked down at the rushing water of the trout stream. I kept silent as I walked around and let the dogs pee on the boulders at the embankment.

The doors to the porch were not locked and I saw him enter one end and I came in the others, dogs and all. He was sitting there looking out at the mountains in the distance. I asked what he thought. Keep in mind that we had yet to see the inside of the house, other than the view through the siding door in the living room. He said, "Let's make an offer."

We did, they countered, we countered and just like that it was done! Our short trip was not wasted. I did not know that the realtor I called had his face plastered on billboards that we saw all along the way on our journey home. He took care of everything and definitely earned his money, at no cost to us! Everything was done remotely involving a few phone calls and e-signing online.

This when everything got complicated with this sale. When it became aparrent that money was, indeed, a very big issue. When the offer went down by $100,000!  We finally agreed to this, as long as the closing costs and any incidentals would not be paid by us. I was not happy with this, but finally gave in. I just want to go live my life in my little house in the mountains. But, that is a lot of money!

And here we are in a brand new year, waiting. Paying utility bills in two locations and I won't believe it is over until I sign on the dotted line. I made my plans according to the word of the buyer and he has proven to be unreliable. He has an accomplice ("investor") now, who I believe is the motivation behind the decrease in the offer and the one spear-heading all the road blocks to my escape from here. 

It is all I can do to be civil. I recognize that she is manipulating the actions of the buyer. I know this because I am quite capable of the same. She has sent some rather condescending emails my way. I could reply and out-condescend her, but I choose to ignore them. No reply is, indeed, a reply!

The buyer is here now, wanting to inventory all the equipment he expects to be his at the end of this. With the initial offer we were willing to leave most everything in the barn and the store. No longer am I willing to fund his new venture with a store full of merchandise and a barn full of equipment. He is getting a profitable turn-key operation with tenants who pay monthly and seasonal who pay annually. I have been culling out anything I can sell and doing so. Rape me of $100, 000 and make me stay here when I don't want to. What is it they say about a woman scorned and fury?


8 comments:

RunNRose said...

You seem to be JUST A LITTLE upset! Understandably so. I will be some glad when this ordeal is over, and you can tell us about
some happy stuff! Like the mountains and the water. I'm even hoping for some pictures. Would. like to see where your transported plants end up.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Being upset is natural

Kathy G said...

I bet that this time next year all of this will be a distant memory.

Cathy said...

Um….Not a good way to end this ‘season’ of your life. You have every reason to be angry after the run around you’re being given. We were all looking forward to the descriptions of a relaxing Life in the Country…..guess we can wait a while longer.
Take care
Cathy

Joanne Noragon said...

Just keep selling it off and taking it to the post office.

River said...

I hope you get stuff sold BEFORE he writes it on his inventory sheet. And I hope that everything goes smoothly regarding the sale from now on. I'm guessing his investor partner is gleefully rubbing her hands together just waiting for you to throw your hands in the air and just give it all up. But I know you are stronger than that.

Val said...

I agree that such a price reduction should result in fewer perks for the new (eventual) owner! And silence IS much less rewarding than a battle of condescension.

Write from the Heart said...

You show them not to mess with you! Thatos really low down. I hope you get out soon.