Friday, April 24, 2009

Weekends

Friday has arrived and I should be getting my house in order, but here I sit blogging. The phone woke me this morning and I took 6 calls in less than 15 minutes. I was trying to make coffee while I fielded calls and opened the cabinet for a filter and a Christmas mug stored on the top shelf flew down, bounced off my head and shattered. Not a good beginning to my day.

I have been working in my gardens for the past three days. My vegetable beds are raised and the only way to turn the soil is with an old-fashioned hoe. It is all done and seeded. I have the sore muscles to prove it. The weed-eater crapped out, so I edged my flower beds on my hands and knees with a pair of scissors. Yes, I know they make a tool for that, but I prefer my light-weight scissor, thank you very much. I have weeded and planted and separated all morning. I thought it must be around noon, so I came inside to discover that it was 1:30. I guess time really does fly when you are having fun.

Since love of my life had to go to work this afternoon I jumped into the shower. I heard his razor going and I told him I would be out in a second. There he was all ready to get into his shower. "It's not really a good idea for us both to be without clothes on at the same---the store is open." I say to him. I won't repeat what he said, but I did convince him to stay dry until I at least got dressed. We had been here a couple of months when it became apparent just how confining it is to run a campground. We were open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Drew stayed away from the store as much as possible (still does). One day, after mowing all morning and tending my gardens I called him in to the store and asked him, "Could you please watch the store long enough for me to get a quick shower?" Reluctantly, he planted himself behind the counter. He must have been listening, because the minute he heard the water turn off he was gone. I heard the buzzer as I dried myself, but ignored it, confidant that he was in the store. Then I heard the little bell on the counter. I threw a robe on my still wet self and quickly wrapped my hair in a towel to go see what was wrong with him..........

Suffice it to say I was not at all happy. I guess I should have been more specific and said that I also wanted to dry off and put clothes on. He will never hear the end of it. I took care of the customer, then locked the door and put a sign in the window giving myself 15 minutes. I was dressed in 5 and the other 10 was devoted to calling my girls to complain about their dad. They called him to ask him what his problem was....... I didn't have to say a word.

In the meantime I have changed the store hours to a more reasonable time frame. It helps, but not with the phone. The phone system here isn't all that great and the tether that binds me to it isn't long. I have to stay pretty close to the building and the flower beds closest to it are the best tended. All of my beds are in full sun and I seem to be stuck to tones of yellow, orange and red. Marigold and zinnia are the annuals I plant over and over because I harvest the seed and they are easy to grow. My day lillies have multiplied and will be stunning this year. The odd one is the hosta. I dug up a hosta from my yard in Minnesota and brought it with me. I had to put it in the ground somewhere. I don't have shade in my phone zone, so I split it and planted it in front of the building facing south...in direct sunlight beating down on it all day. They all survived and grew, much to my delight and the next year I dug them up to move them to a more suitable location. I dug deep, meaning to remove it permanently. Every year two of them grow back even bigger and I dig them up and separate them and replant them. I haven't decided where they will go this year. From the one plant I brought, I now have about 50 throughout the park.

My break is over as my first reservation just pulled in. Should be almost full this weekend. Surely someone will commit a blog-worthy act......................

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Can not wait to hear all about it!!

I would get him back for that shower issue...dead meat in my house.

Nancy said...

Hostas! Definitely reminds me of Minnesota! They were one of the only plants in my yard when we bought our home in Prior Lake. But they are very hardy, I will say. If they can survive the 35 below zero it got for one spell, then they can be deemed hardy! Pretty too.

Sandi McBride said...

Kathy, you had me laughing out loud! Thanks so much for the kind thoughts during my illness...I'm not totally mended, but well on the way and your funny blogsite is going a long way to making my day!!!
hugs
Sandi

Missy said...

Will you come work in my year? I hat yard work. I like pretty flowers though and day lillies are my fav!

Jane said...

Wow, great blog! I will be back to visit again soon,

Jane

lovelyprism said...

A blog worthy act... LOL
The gardens sound lovely. Hostas are funny, I thought they'd only grow in shade but they grow in direct sunlight here in Georgia too.

Hit 40 said...

Daylilies never die. I have some that I inherited with my new house. I do not really like the color. But, I do not want to kill them and they keep multiplying!!!

Sorry about your son. My older sister is like this. Don't know what to tell you! She is happy sponging off of others.