Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Too Tired To Sleep.....

Ever heard that expression, "I'm too tired to sleep." ? It is a condition I now find myself in.


After locking the door to the store last night at 7:00, I took the animals out and tossed some logs on the fire and lay down with my favorite flannel comforter and pillow. Closed my eyes... sleep would not come. Made myself a cup of herbal 'sleepytime' tea. That was a mistake.... made me pee all night. I was still very much awake when Drew came home at 11:44. The animals were on their best behaviour last night, but every little sound was magnified and I could not sleep.


Love of my life has to sleep with white noise. No noise machine for us. Every year he buys a new box fan; the loudest running one he can find. They only last about a year before the motor dies. I don't know why he needs this, he can't hear anything. Even with this fan, that I liken to the sound of a jet taking flight, I still hear everything. I heard Drew go to the bathroom at 2:00. I heard the door hinge squeak. He left the door open and didn't turn on the light. I heard him pee. I heard him carefully close the door, the hinge squeaked again and then, though I am sure he tried hard not to, the door clicked when it shut. From there he went to the wood stove and pulled open the door--it squeaked, too. Then I heard him go to the fridge and raid his private stock of Reeses. I heard the paper rip. I smelled the chocolate and peanut butter as he got back into the bed. I heard him swallow!


This morning I strolled through our home, coffee in one hand, WD-40 in the other. I have really big hopes for tonight. I thought about sleeping in the guest room, but the dogs would insist on going with me........ I thought about sleeping pills, but I hate the way I feel the next day.......... I have even considered putting pillows on the phone and disconnecting the buzzer to the store door and taking a nap, but the coffee has kicked in. I am determined to sleep tonight!

6 comments:

Hit 40 said...

I go to sleep with the tv every night. I need a sitcom like friends, cheers, really any of them. My husband turns it off when he comes up. If I wake up, I have to go downstairs to sleep on the couch with the tv. I try to tell myself to ignore the noises like an ambulance or the birds in the morning. It helps.

Nancy said...

Not enough sleep is horrible. I take 1/2 of an Ambien every night. I know I should not take sleeping pills - but this little 1/2 capsule saves my life (and marriage.) I don't feel groggy in the morning unless I take a full one, or a Tylenol PM, or any of the myriad other sleep remedies. You might want to explore this option with your doctor. Usually it only takes about 4-5 nights go get your sleep pattern adjusted.

I feel for ya!!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Unless it's a long term problem, resist the sleeping tablets! I was a terrible sleeper until I met himself. He made me feel so safe that I finally slept properly for the first time in my life. I don't have any answers except to wear yourself out bt it sounds like you are doing that anyway. Hot baths are good and hot chocolate! Stick a scotch in it!

scarlethue said...

I hope you get to go to several of his games this year :)

lovelyprism said...

Try melatonin! It's a naturally occurring hormone with no side effects. Take it about two hours before you wish to sleep. I am serious as can be, this stuff will knock you on your butt and it has no side effects. I take one every night and I sleep for 8 or 9 hours. Well... 8 or 9 hours with a few disruptions from the hubby who feels it's perfectly OK to elbow me in the head when I snore. Sweartogod one of these days you will see the headline "Georgia woman smothers husband with his own pillow". I treasure my sleep! My kids are older and nearly self sufficient, there's no reason I shouldn't have my 8 or 9 hours and it's very important to your overall health.

Erik's RV Blog said...

My wife sleeps with the loudest fan on the planet. It practically blasts the skin on her face around...

I pray for power outages, we have had one in 13 years.... ack.

Erik