Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day Three

The weekend continues ..........

Sleep came as soon as I hit the pillow, but the jangling phone at 24 minutes after midnight roused me. I had a complaint of excessive noise from the night before and had encouraged a phone call should it happen again. I stumbled into the office in time to hear the message wondering if I had any sites available. I went back to bed. The dogs were still sleeping and I crawled back under the covers and went back to sleep.

It felt like I had just recovered my optimum slumber when I heard the phone again. It was 2:25. I was not at all happy. I trudged back out to the office with 3 dogs trailing behind me. I did not make it to the phone. I went back and retrieved the old dog, Oscar and took them all out. Since I had to wait, I called the number back. "This is Kan-Do Kampground returning your call." "Oh, we were wondering what it would cost to tent camp at your park."

So, you are sitting around at 2 in the morning thinking about camping? And you say to yourself, "Let's just call around."? Cause, after all, that will certainly endear you to the person stumbling out of blessed slumber ..... "Do you know what time it is?" I ask. "It is a holiday weekend and I am booked up." I would have slammed the phone down, but that is not a possibility these days. No matter how hard you press that button, it makes no satisfying noise!

Had a hard time reclaiming my sleep after that and overslept this morning. Had only 15 minutes to dress and wash my face and brush my teeth, then brew the coffee. I raced out to check my bathrooms, restocked paper product and noted that I needed to empty the trash. No more time. Line forming at the door. I sold lots of ice to tent campers, took orders for firewood and finally had a few minutes to indulge myself with coffee and gossip among friendly faces.

The phone rings and I look at the number displayed on caller id ...... looks familiar. It is my middle of the night would be tent camper. For real! She asks about availability and I have some folks leaving and have sites available. She tells she will be here shortly. One of my seasonals was about to make his exit, but upon learning the identity of the caller decides to stay and "watch".

I know he is longing to see a full blown cat fight. The woman comes in and as she is filling out the registration I ask if she is the one who awakened me in the wee hours of the morning. She acts surprised and says, "Oh, I woke you just now?" I tell her, no, that she woke me at 2:30. "That wasn't me, I called you just now, only one time."

"That's funny, because it was the same phone number that showed up on caller id and I recognize your voice." She keeps her gaze down and we finish the transaction. Nothing like a little public humiliation for breakfast.

Still longing for some quality consecutive hours of sleep, I take advantage of the mid morning lull and swallow my pills, toss a pop-tart in the toaster and head out with trash can liners in my pocket to empty the bathroom cans. As I am heading back in, I get a request to re-boot the modem on the Wi-Fi and am intent on that as I open the door to the store.

I smell a burned pop-tart and think how great the day is going to be with this start. Annoyed that I will have to either toss my pop-tart and eat something else (they are fortified with essential vitamins and minerals!!), I head into my domicile to take care of the Wi-Fi problem. The pop-tart is beyond saving, it is on fire, along with the toaster and a cabinet!

I grabbed the baking soda and doused the flames, took the phone out of my bra and called He Who rescues damsels in distress. I yelled "Kitchen on fire!" and tossed the phone on the counter and grabbed the toaster as the flames were reappearing and tossed it out the back door. My hero enters and starts fanning at the dense smoke and grabs a fan to try to pull the smoke out of the house. I was busy trying to cough out all the smoke I inhaled and make sure the bottom of the cabinet was completely out.

A memorable Memorial Day weekend. Four more hours to go here. My hands are stained with snow cone syrup and my throat is burning. My back itches .....

My back itches because, in my mad rush to get all the trash in the dumpster before the Friday pick-up, I grabbed a bucket of debris and heaved it up to tip it into the dumpster, unaware of the millions of ants on the bottom of the bucket. The ants were running down my neck and into my sports bra. He Who mows found me indecent beside said dumpster as I beat them off the front side of me. The back is now covered in ant bites.

To be continued .........


Kathy G said...

Thanks for all the updates on your big 'opening weekend'. Hope you don't take offense if I chucked at your mishaps :-)

ellen abbott said...

you could not pay me enough to do what you do. I've done a hasty strip tease myself after encountering fire ants in the gutters I was cleaning out. ants in my hair, crawling up my arms, falling in my clothes and I was on a ladder.

Linda O'Connell said...

OMG it has to get better now. That woman sounds like a winner. You work hard for your money! But isn't nice to connect with your regulars?

joanne said...

there must be a crown waiting for you at the end of the rainbow