Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sandy Sheets

I can't seem to get my energy back. Taking a shower feels like a workout. Then I have to rest. Wash dishes, rest. Cook a meal with a chair handy to take a rest in the midst of cooking. Laundry is okay because it has built in rest in between loads.

I feel like I am being lazy as I sit here and doze on and off. No matter what I eat of if I eat, I have indigestion. I will call my doctor tomorrow, but I am loathe to be in the hospital again. There are sick people there!

Layla's rug is almost done. It is handy to the kitchen (the table it sits upon) and when ever I stop there for a rest I will tie a row or two.  Or cut some more strips of T-shirts. I tried changing the bed linens and ended up in a cold sweat and could not finish. HeWho is not domestic had to follow my instructions and do all the tucking and pillow casing.

The rain is depressing. Not to mention that the last time HeWho was out playing on the front end loader, he dumped a load of dirt from the field beyond our bill board in the corner of my back yard. I had asked him to get some dirt back there in a low spot that wants to hold water and is soggy for days after a good rain. In my mind's eye, I saw a nice level layer of this dirt. The grass will fill in quickly and I have some seed to spread as well.

Did I really think he would take the garden rake and spread the dirt? "Oh, you didn't tell me to do that." He was right, I didn't. I was thinking I would do it myself, but I am restricted to only pick up things 4 lbs. or less and I can't drive yet, so common sense tells me I shouldn't try to drag that dirt out.

The problem is that the Doxies seem to think this is a hill for them to conquer. They come in with wet muddy bellies and their toenails are clogged with mud. Before bedtime I sit here and try to get as much of the dirt out of the toenails as possible.

Doxies do not appreciate having their toes manipulated. Cujo will withstand it without complaint, but he does not like it. He seems to have sensed that I am not strong and has started pulling his foot away before I am done. Eddie absolutely hates this process and is quite vocal about it. He requires a strong hand and stern voice. I just don't seem to have it in me. HeWho will just say "he won't let me" and give up. 

As a result, my bed has clumps of dog toe dirt in it. If you are wondering why I don't just put them in their bed on the floor ..... they will howl pitifully. They have always slept in the bed with us and they like to be under the covers, head and all. On my side of the bed.

And so, to add insult to injury, I lack the strength required to remove all the particles of that clumpy dirt from my bed.


Val said...

Take care of yourself! This has to be hard on you, you are such a go-getter.

I have felt drained like that twice. Once was when my potassium was too low, due to my blood pressure meds. The other was when I had the pulmonary embolisms. The physical therapy gal, right before discharge, told me that it would take a while to recover. She said taking a shower is equivalent to walking up two flights of stairs!

dkzody said...

Oh I wish we lived closer to one another. I would come over and change your sheets for you. We too have an issue with dirt right now. In our case, though, it's our cats finding every muddy spot in the yard and digging and rolling in it. I feel for you.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Feeling drained is a horrile feeling but it will pass when your body has healed all you can do is take it slow one day at a time

River said...

Ask your doctor for something to combat the indigestion and let everything else take its own sweet time with recovering. I don't have any helpful ideas on how to keep the dogs away from the dirt, has the pile been spread by now? Can you fence it off somehow? Not personally, get someone to do it for you.

Linda O'Connell said...

Listen to your body talk. Rest is recuperative and healing. Check your potassium. And love those pooches, dirt and all. Hope you regain your strength soon. I know this is miserable for you.

luksky said...

If I lived closer I would come help you.

Amanda said...

I'm recovering from pulmonary embolism, and one of the hardest things for me is learning to stop when I am tired and give myself a break. It's been tough accepting that just making a casserole has become an all-day project, but that's just the way things are now. You didn't go to the hospital because things were great in the first place, and it takes a week more more to get anesthesia out of your system. There's nothing "lazy" about not running yourself into the ground and back into the hospital.

ellen abbott said...

and so what was the diagnosis? I would feel guilty when I had a lot of work and I would take 10 minutes or so to wander out in the yard, giving my eyes a rest and then people would tell me that that 10 minutes was just as important as getting the work done. so now I am telling you. those rest periods are just as important as whatever chore you are engaged in.