Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Home, Sweet Home

 I have internet!!!! This is so exciting, you have no idea. No TV service yet, depending on the internet connection to work. We have been listening to the radio. The entire home has speakers and the radio follows you from room to room. So, unlike the Waltons, we have yet to gather our chairs close to the radio.

Nights here are quiet, very still and quiet. HeWho swears he cannot sleep without the sound of a fan did just that the first two nights. I know I could have easily brought one inside but wanted to see just how long he would be able to do without it.

When we moved to the kampground 18 years ago, I sold as much of our furniture and big items as I could, knowing the living quarters were about 950 square feet and our house was several times more than that. Four levels and 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. We went to 2 small bedrooms and 1 bath, Even though I had downsized our belongings, it was still hard to cram everything into the "house". But, cram, I did! 

So now we are in 400 square feet. HeWho has declared that there will be no additions. I laugh at that; we all know I will get whatever it is I want! Within reason and I am nothing if not reasonable. 

I have been slowly unloading and can't seem to find enough kitchen space. All the dishes currently in the cabinets had to be washed, since we didn't have water hooked up when we brought that load before. I have managed to put everything I unloaded away, and it has all been washed. My poor hands are so raw. they throb at night.

I immediately familiarized myself with the new washer, since I had four loads of dog vomit to deal with. I did a washer clean to get all the antifreeze out of the washer. Worked just fine and I tossed a load of our clothes in, ready for a day of laundry around unpacking. The first load was done and I put that load in the dryer and put another load in the washer, following all the steps carefully. Turned both machines on and went about my business of unpacking.

I heard the dryer buzzer and pulled that load out to fold ....... (sound of screeching brakes) discovered an error message on the washer. Searched to see if I could locate a service manual, couldn't and thought I would just look online. No Wi-Fi. A text to my go-to bestie and she looked it up. We spent all day draining the washer and then tried to "rinse and spin". Three times. It is the pump. I had to wring out that load by hand and let it drip outside before getting somewhat dryer, I just tossed the last of that load in the dryer.

The moving truck will be here tomorrow. A later post about that particular nightmare. I have readied the 400 square feet to receive the rest of my belongings. I am so excited to have my bed back in my life!

Dora, the adorable turtle has her appetite back and seems to love her new surroundings with so much light pouring in from all the windows. She has graduated from baby reptile food to big turtle food. She loves mealworms and tiny dried shrimp. She is currently on the kitchen counter and has been watching me cook and clean up. You all may think I am a bit wacko about this turtle, but I promise you, she has quite a personality. She will stretch her neck to follow my movements with her eyes. She likes to sit in the palm of my hand for a walk about to see everything. She will stick her neck out to be stroked and look straight into my eyes when I talk to her.

Martha, the boy cat, was the one I was really concerned about. He rode in the bed and was unconcerned about all the stops, did not try even once to get out. Upon arrival here, he headed straight inside to find his food and litter box in the bathroom. Mr. BoJangles did accompany Martha out to the fenced in dog yard. Martha easily scaled the 6' privacy fence in Missouri and this new fence is only 5'. He walked around and sniffed the air, then came back inside. It had snowed and he tip-toed through the white stuff. He seemed to be unimpressed. Today was quite nice out and he spent a good bit of time on the screened porch, exploring his new digs, then sauntered back in. 

The dogs, of course, already knew this new place, so were just happy to be here. I think they sense my contentment and take it from there.   

7 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

So then, welcome home. May your posts continue and continue.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. I actually read your post with bated breath, waiting for a calamity. So glad all is well

River said...

it's nice you are finally settled. I hope the washer pump can be quickly repaired.

ellen abbott said...

This is the fun part of moving to me...the unpacking and setting up of the new home.

Allison said...

Welcome home!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I hope your new home is all you want it to be and you continue to write so we can read

Linda O'Connell said...

So happy you have landed and your critters are happy. You will have some unpacking and arranging to do. Keep us informed as to your progress. I cannot imagine going from spacious to even less spacious. Big house to time home seems the way many people are going these days. That sure is one way to downsize. Imagine how beautiful your place will be in spring and summer. You deserve peace and quiet and every happiness.