Sunday, February 6, 2022

Heady With Anticipation

 Every day is like a surprise as I open unlabeled boxes. Not necessarily good surprises. Just so you know, 400 square feet is not a lot of space.

The bedroom will not be a challenge for storage as soon as I get my bed legs (should be tomorrow). A bank of 6 drawers under the bed will take all the overflow of seasonal clothes. The bathroom is a challenge!

The bathroom would appear to have lots of storage. The toilet sits at an angle with a corner cabinet above it. I was able to fit the litter box almost behind the toilet, nice and tucked away. But the cabinet is not deep enough to hold towels unless you get really creative with folding them. I ended up using an old CocaCola crate for the overflow of towels on the counter behind the toilet. Cleaning products and dog shampoo filled the cabinet under the sink, but the dog towels have no home.

The kitchen is the biggest challenge. The "pantry" is only 9" deep. I can work with that, but my cereal canisters will not fit. There is a cabinet above the fridge, but it is not tall enough to accommodate much and I need a step stool to access it. There is a space above that (ceilings are vaulted) and I was going to use baskets up there to store things I don't use very often, but the depth of the cabinet does not cover the entire space and my baskets want to fall behind the cabinet and onto the top of the fridge.

I will remedy that with a shelf .... one day soon. The cabinets in the kitchen are not wide enough for my pots and pans. There is one of those ugly light diffusers, it has gold metal straps holding the opaque panels in place. I looked under them and the florescent lights are ugly with wiring running on top of the finished ceiling. I want to eliminate the light diffuser and the lighting. I want to replace it with something more appealing to the eye and then be able to make use of the wasted space above the cabinets. There is 21" up there! Boxes, baskets, or bins can house whatever my heart desires to go up there. 

HeWho just looks at me and nods when I tell him these things! Then he reminds me that he is retired, and I told him I could make this work. I did say that, but I never said he wouldn't be put to work to make it work. 

The repairman for the washer said he would call with a time next week. The laundromat experience is really not for me! The place was clean and very busy. I remember when we put the new machines in the campground, and everyone went nuts over the $1.50 rate. You would have thought we were robbing them! A load of laundry, just a regular normal sized load was $3.50!! One must always remember how thrifty I am. I washed three loads of towels and clothes. I left the blankets and bedding the dogs vomited on here. They did not have one of those giant washers that would hold 4 loads there. All of the bedding is king sized and would involve many loads. It can wait outside on the porch for the washer to be repaired.

Our new address is an issue with shipping from Walmart. I am now waiting for a call to help me change my address in my account. I had my order all set to go, having found some space saving devices for the kitchen and their site will not recognize our new address. The person who initially called back could not get it done and now I wait. 

The day is sunny and still a little too chilly to tackle more boxes, but I should have a nice three-hour window of temps in the upper 40's later today. I can get a lot done in that amount of time. I need to find a place to store the queen bed we are sleeping on. As soon as those bed legs show up, I will be stripping that bed and moving it to its new home. I am heady with anticipation!!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

My sister taught me a great trick for cramming maximum towels into minimum space. Fold them in half length-wise, then roll them from the short end. You can stack them up on the teeny-tiny less-than-square-foot jokes they call a linen closets here in FL, or put them in a basket like cigars with the ends up. Works for dish towels and dishcloths too. I had learned to do this packing clothes from a military buddy; never dawned on me it'd work with towels, too.

Joanne Noragon said...

One box at a time, one room at a time. I send you love and encouragement, but no help.

Val said...

I hope you find your legs soon! And that Walmart will recognize your address.

River said...

I'm guessing your 400 square feet doesn't have a linen closet, just like mine (also 400 sqft) doesn't. I had to buy a couple of smallish chests of drawers to store towels and sheets. I'm very thankful I don't have dog blankets as well. It sounds like some fairly extensive cabinet building might be needed in your kitchen and bathroom, for better storage options, but once that is done, you'll be in heaven.

Cathy said...

Maybe the locals like cuddling up in bed so only have doubles or small queens. How do they launder their quilts/duvets….dry clean maybe??

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

The joys of unpacking and finding not enough room for stuff