Friday, October 8, 2021

The End of the Great Escape

 Is this day five or six? This is day six and we are home. Day five was just traveling. The windsheild wipers quit working on the trip down and I was excited to see the sun when I woke that morning.

I ousted the driver from slumber so we could get the dolly and car hooked up while the sun was shining. It went well with me guiding him into place and I even helped put the strapping on the tires. I managed to get a very small cup of coffee while pulling in the slides and securing everything inside. The dogs headed for the car when I took them out, all set for another day of looking at property. 

They were confused when I herded them back into the coach. Soon enough they found their spots next to me and settled in for a morning snooze. This was the part where we went through some realy curvy roads towards Chattanooga and the interstate. Then it started to rain again. The driver said he could see and wouldn't have to strap me to the front of the coach with a squeegee to clear the window.

We finally drove out of the rain and were at the next campsite in Paducah by 3:30 in the afternoon! It was time to celebrate. Our offer was accepted and we ate dinner and were asleep by 9 pm. This what passes for celebrating for oldsters.

Got up at 7 this morning and headed north. Gained an hour and we were home around noon. The phone has rung 37 times so far today. I will be happy to lock up tonight and sleep in my own bed!

The queen bed in the RV is comfy enough, but the four dogs made it too crowded. Cujo and Eddie claimed their spots tucked in next to me. Toni Louise jumped down to the floor when she realized no TV watching would be forthcoming. Bo was restless every night. He liked to watch himself in the closet door mirror on my side of the bed. I am not a fan of big mirrors, preferring to see myself from the shoulders up. 

Bo always settled on my pillow wrapped around my head. As flattering as being wanted is, it was not sleep conducive for me. Bo is only still and content when sleeping or I am playing with his fur. He likes to have his long course fur on his back ruffled until it is standing on end, making him look like he has a mohawk. I can tickle his neck or head, too, but I dare not bother his feet or tail. He is such a strange creature!

Adorable Dora, the turtle, was so happy to see me! I know you are thinking, "Sure, she was." But she really does interact with me. Whether it is my voice or my face she is looking at, I couldn't tell you. But when I talk to her and hold her she stretches her neck and looks my way while turning her head from side to side. I promised her that I would take her along on the next trip.

Martha, the boy cat, was happy when we returned. He rubbed against me for a bit then went to see about his canine siblings. Now he is roaming the park checking out all the campers. He has been here all of his life and is used to the high volume of traffic. He stays off the roads and sort of saunters around unless he is lying in wait to catch a rabbit or bird. I wonder how he will like living in isolation and becoming a resident of North Carolina. I have high hopes for him. I hate to think he would be unhappy.

I will be happy, the dogs liked it there and Eddie's allergies seem to abate while we were there. The turtle won't know the difference as long as I am there. Now I pack and sort.

14 comments:

Kathy G said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about your North Carolina kapers.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is the best news! And of course the turtle knows you. I know turtles who own their owners and come when called, albeit slowly.

River said...

I'm so happy your offer was accepted. Now all you need is someone to take over the campground for you. You probably already have that sorted.

Val said...

Congrats on your property purchase! And on not getting strapped to the front of the coach with a squeegee! I can't wait to share in your new adventure. I'm sure Dora the turtle is full of anticipation as well.

Lu Tillotson said...

I've been following your posts for years and have always enjoyed reading about your adventures. Now you're getting ready to start on a new one - I look forward to hearing how the move goes, as well as the moving in. Your future home and and sound beautiful. You must not be too far from us - we've recently moved to western NC but not situated on a mountaintop w/the view you described.

luksky said...

Congrats! Change will be good for you.

Donna. W said...

Maybe Martha will enjoy hunting in the woods. I hope you show us a picture of the place you're moving to.

ellen abbott said...

I had to back up and read the previous post. so YAY! sounds ideal. small home is OK, less housework, and you can always add on. how long til the closing and moving? I think I remember you writing that you had an interested party for the campground. did you sell it?

Linda O'Connell said...

I am delighted you found a place in NC. So many changes coming in your life, and you can all the half mirrirs you want in your new place. Is this where the stream is below the property. My dream!

Tie up those loose ends, get some new wipers and get on your way. Aren't you so excited?!

Linda O'Connell said...

I am thrilled for you that you have found a place, and I know you are raring to go! I have been following your trip on my PHONE, because both of our laptops crashed. I will be even more thrilled if this comment shows up at some point.

dkzody said...

Congratulations on the new place. I hope it is everything and more of what you want in a retirement place. May it provide years of happiness and comfort for all of you.

Dianne said...

Happy for you! Is the campground sold?

RunNRose said...

The great delight of following bloggers------the fun of traveling to so many places, even if we are actually stuck in one place, Please take us with you on your latest life journey. We are happy for you and excited about the changes to come.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Glad your trip was a good one and you all love the new place when you're in it