Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Days Three and Four of the Great Escape

 Day three saw more rain.We went our anyway to do some drive-by's. I have studied the pctures of the possible new homes on-line and so I figured I would easily recognize them when we went on our mission. I was wrong about some of them. 

We employed Siri to guide us on the twisty roads into the mountain side to have a look at three prospects on the same road. The driveways were really steep and short. One possibility had a circular drive, but we doubted our motorhome could make the turn, the circle was tight. Another prospect just looked spooky. It was raining and dreary, but the building itself was hard to see in the trees, it was drab brown and I gave that one a thumbs down.

The one I was looking forward to seeing was a covered RV space with hook ups and a building right there. A good sized two story building that looked a lot better in photos. This was one that my baby girl had already proclaimed a definite NO. But, she is not the boss of me and looking is free. We pulled under the "shelter" out of the rain and I ventured out to peek in the windows.

Oh, it was bad! No amount of clever landscaping on my part would take away the sheer ugliness of the property! Then I took a good look at all the pieces of rotten wood around me and realized that the roof of the shelter was held up by some precarious placement of questionable boards and pieces of cinder blocks. This was listed at $87,000. I doubt they will get $87, as both structures are tear downs.

That road was a disappointment and we had no cell service there, so we left that area and headed to North Carolina, a mere 9 miles north to see the one I really liked. It is small, one acre with a park model and two out buildings. He who fancies himself to be in charge of the budget had initially said no to this one when I showed him the property on line. "No, costs too much."

The roads were fairly decent after seeing the other properties and we determined that we could get the 40' motorhome onto the homesite. We decided to walk around in the rain and let the dogs lift their legs and mark territory. It only has one bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living area. But a covered, screened porch almost the length of the building and facing the ravine, at bottom of which is a trout stream made a huge impression! The mountain views are magnificent. The porch was open and we could see the living area through the sliding doors and the kitchen through the window on the porch. I have been placing furniture in my mind for some time now, having decided that this was a definite contender.

There will never be close neighbors and the sound of the water rushing over the rocks will drown out any other noise! We looked and looked and finally left to head back to the campground and our RV. So, I waited to see if the budget minded mister would say anything. He liked it, he liked it a lot. We submitted an offer through the realtor we were working with, inside unseen! He suggested more than I wanted to offer. 

Budget, indeed. Good thing I had him lost in the mountains looking at the others first! I still don't know if he liked it, or he was just tired of looking. Whatever. We decided we will not need this diesel guzzling 40 feet of rolling home just to take trips. We are selling it and buying something more managable that I will feel comfortable driving. Getting rid of my car, as well. We will need 4 wheel drive to live here.

It is day four now and the sellers did not accept our offer and countered for $9000 more, we have countered with $5000 more. Now we wait. I am not so good at waiting, although I feel like this is 10 years later than I wanted to do his.

We will be on the road again tomorrow, stopping in Paducah, Kentucky for the night. Time to get back to the real world. I have the store phone and have been making reservations and taking cancellations and other annoying calls. One call was from an irate person demanding to know why the pool is closed. Just can't wait to get back to work!

Mr. BoJangles has turned into the most excellent traveler! He waits for his leash to go out and sits patiently waiting for his people to take him home to sleep! Toni Louise is still hyper and wants to be first in line for everything. I am just happy to know that my king bed will fit in the bedroom of our potential new home! I miss my bed. 

6 comments:

River said...

Is the edge of the ravine fenced off so your dogs can't fall over the edge? It sounds wonderful. I hope you can reach an agreement over the price.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, we're all waiting, fingers crossed, for the happy news.

Val said...

If I was the seller, I would accept your offer. You've countered by meeting me more than halfway, which shows good faith in the negotiation process. I might try to squeeze another couple thousand out of you, but if you stood firm, I would give it a day, then accept. Now I've given away my advantage in the infinitesimal event that anyone here would buy property from me...

Kathy G said...

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Nothing like one's own bed

Linda O'Connell said...

OUR laptopS crashed, but i have been following you on my phone. See if this works.