Sunday, October 3, 2021

Stay Tuned Part 2

 Yesterday I told you about an incident here that ended with a visit from law enforcement. While I was dealing with that situation, another arose and loomed large. I may have mentioned the "double" sites we inherited with the purchase of the park. I am not a fan of them, but I have to use them.

Making the "seating chart" for the weekend can be a nightmare. I have to make sure the back of the site is filled before the front site backs in. Then I must make sure that the front site will be leaving before the back site. I do, on occasion, get it wrong and have to do a last minute alteration to my chart. Some campers are very understanding, while others an be complete a$$holes.

I have monthly sites that are in that situation. I knew that one was about to leave and immediately talked to the camper in front of him. He was on a jobsite pretty far away, with no means of transportation to get back before the one in back wanted to leave. He had his son, where his truck was parked, mail the door key to me and said he thought the ignition key was in the ignition.

The key finally arrived the day before the other camper wanted to pull out. This was Friday. The day I had to call a deputy out. HeWho was busy all morning making last minute repairs and such in advance of our trip. I was swamped with check-ins for the weekend and fielding calls from travelers who had not made reservations. We had a very full park, using the tent sites and extension cords for those last minute travelers and I still had to turn away 14 rigs. It is Oktoberfest, people! All the campgrounds in a 25 mile radius are full. Every weekend of October. 

HeWho was dispatched to move the motorhome blocking the camper wanting to leave Saturday morning. Said camper was calling me incessantly wanting to know when I would move that motorhome. Motorhome guy was also calling to make sure I had the key. Calls were coming in on top of each other and I was considering a nervous breakdown just to have a moment of peace.

HeWho could not find the ignition key. Motorhome guy was consulted about where to look and this went back and forth for well over an hour. I suggsted the tow truck, but you can't get the gear in neutral without the key and we really did not want to ruin the transmission. Camper waiting to leave shall now be referred to as the Jerk kept calling "When are you moving this?" HeWho was THERE, but he called me. He would growl his question out and I would tell him to talk to my husband and he would hang up. Perhaps his time would have been better spent helping look for the key.

"The key chain has an alligator foot on it," says nice camper. He went on to suggest we hot wire it. Having never stolen a car, I didn't know how and the same went for HeWho failed to find the key and went to get the tow truck. The minute he left the Jerk called to ask what we were doing, hanging up as soon as I told him. Not a chatty guy, I suppose. The nice camper is and I would have to cut him off to check-in and asnswer other calls.

He managed to move the motorhome 10 feet forward, but the Jerk still couldn't get his truck in. I don't know that he actually tried, I am thinking he just decided that he would complain through the night. He did. I don't answer the phone after I go to bed, but I did check the call log. 

I have witnessed magnificent feats of drivers managing to get their campers out without having anyone move. They aren't in that tight, not bumper to bumper. The efforts on the part of HeWho was needing to sleep ended at about 8:30. He told the Jerk that he couldn't move it any further and that he could go on to spend his off days with his family and that we would move it as soon as we could and put it in dry storage at no cost to him for as long as he needed.

I was taking my first sip of coffee when I heard someone beating on the door to the office. I looked at the monitor to see the Jerk pounding the door with his fist while simutaneouly ringing the bell. Still in my sleep attire, I called out to HeWho was dressing to let him know his little friend wanted him to come out. The Jerk started with obsenities, making HeWho less than willing to assist him. He went back to his site, violating the speed limit, by the way.

I went on to shower and get myself ready for another day of fun. I had just dressed and put product in my hair and had not yet tamed it when the bell at my window rang. I was not open yet, but went out with my wild hair to see who dared to invade my world. 

The deputy at my window inquired about my well being and asked if my husband was around. I asked him how he thought I was, give the state of my appearance and that my husband had gone to find some assistance in moving a motorhome. The Jerk called 911 and told them we would not let him leave, that we had blocked him in and would not let him go, that he thought we were trying to steal his camper!!! HeWho arrived right about then and the deputy and him had a good laugh together.

Bud, of Bud's Towing, former employer of HeWho towed, and good friend of HeWho no longer tows came to our rescue and figured out how to move the motorhome without damaging anything. The Jerk left and took his attitude with him.

During one phone call from the owner of the alligator foot key ring, I tolf him that I was pretty sure I could find the key, but could not get out of the office. After all the moving and the Jerk leaving, the key was found! In the cup holder, just as he thought it would be. HeWho didn't find it, another camper did. I suppose I should have gone and looked last night, but the motorhome would start anyway, even with the key.   

 


4 comments:

River said...

Oh boy! The things you put up with! I am awed. There is NO way I could do it. I am glad you are getting out soon though. You've reached the "enough is enough" point.

Val said...

Oh, so you've graduated from stealing ladies' cell phones to stealing campers! No wonder you're so busy. A life of crime is time-consuming!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Damn you put up with a lot of shit

Joanne Noragon said...

Some men who want their camper stolen can be AAA assholes. He certainly thought you were, so he knows he knows one.