Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Just Wondering

I am pretty used to being here all the time with just an occasional outing, so staying home doesn't bother me all that much. What bothers me lately is my internet service. It is sporadic and painfully slow (says the old lady who types with two fingers). Several times I have seen guys on the tower where the satellites should be transmitting a good signal since I am so close. I don't see them come to the tower, but I hear them when they are up there. I just wish the signal traveled as well as their voices.

Staying home is okay. But I must stopping cutting my own hair. Seems like every time I look in the mirror I see something that looks ….. well, just wrong. So I convince myself that I can fix it. I might need a second opinion. I thought I was doing the same thing my hairdresser does. There will be no pictures posted to shame me. I will be making an appointment. I will mask and glove and wrap myself in saran wrap if I have to, but I don't think my hair can take another DIY chopping. 

Just this morning I was scratching my neck where a tick tried to find a new home and felt like there was a chunk of hair that was too long. Did I ask anyone or go check it in the mirror? No. Who was I to ask? HeWho says I look fine. I can't see the back of my head in a mirror! I just picked up some scissors with questionable sharpness and chopped a chunk off. Then my fingers found another long piece and …. well, use your imagination.

I grabbed a tie-dye scarf that came in a package of spices from my baby girl and wrapped my head with it and tied it on top. There were all manner of freebies in that box of salt free spices. Magnets and samples. I don't even want to know how much this cost. My baby girl did not inherit her mom's thriftiness!

Though he is rarely honest when I ask how I look, HeWho informed me that my head tie did not do me any favors. So I decided he could handle all the campers today. That turned out to be one, just one. Karma owes me!

I spent a good bit of time pulling weeds today. The weather was on the chilly side, but I still worked up a sweat. That started me thinking about the powder I bought recently. Baby powder, the label says pure cornstarch. I am okay with that, I just wants to dust my fat in an effort to stay somewhat dry. But, cornstarch. It has to have something else in it, it doesn't smell like cornstarch. It smells like baby powder. I pondered further (I am a deep thinker, you know), what stops this cornstarch from making sweat pudding as it mixes with my sweat? It is a thickening agent when you cook with it and it was really hot yesterday. 

Just wondering, as I am apt to do. 

4 comments:

River said...

I wonder about the cornstarch powders too. If you sweat profusely, then sit somewhere to cool off, does it collect in the creases and thicken so you have to scrape it off? I noticed that with baby powder when my babies were little, with each nappy change I would wash off lines of congealed powder in the creases where their chubby legs met their chubby bodies. It's why I stopped using it on them.

Linda O'Connell said...

Now you have given me something to think about. Cornstarch is a thickener and I have been eating so many cookies I can't get and thicker. I've done a butcher job on my hair too, so far only the bangs and I'm afraid I'm going to look like a church lady soon if this hair gets any further down my back. My kids still tease me about a bandana I wore on vacation when they were young. Now folks wear them to cover nose and mouth.

Joanne Noragon said...

My hair cutter was among my first stops, in mid May. They had masks and distancing, and so did I. The shop did not get many customers, but Mel said in the beginning they sent folks back out to their cars to wait.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Tim cuts my hair has done so for 30yrs
I used powder with cornstarch because I sweat a lot