Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Hanging Of The Sign

As the weather is deciding when to change I am taking advantage of the warm afternoons and tackling some gardens. I was gifted some mulch by a kamper. Black mulch, in bags. As you all know, I am a big fan of free stuff and usually wait until the tree trimmers come through for the power company. I am so nice, I let them dump the chipped up branches by the truckload. I am nice like that.

Remember a while back, when I was lettering and painting the sign to replace the main one in the front of the property? I prepped the main part of the sign, painted it and then lettered one side and painted that. I painted all the trim and painted the individual letters to put on the side of the sign that most of our incoming traffic will see. This sign identifies the property. Important for first time visitors. The sign has been waiting to be mounted for quite some time.

The sign is heavy. The 4 X 8 piece of plywood is heavy alone, but HeWho fancies himself to be a wood worker, routed a "frame" out of treated 4 X 4 lumber. This made the sign really heavy, so much so, that I decided I would not be helping lift it. This helped with the many excuses about the delay in erecting the sign.

1. It is too windy.
2. Nobody is available to help lift it.
3. Too cold.
4. The wind, again.
5. The need to locate an electrical line, so the sign can have lights.
6. No help available.
7. Too windy.
8. Waiting to have the electrical line marked.

About the power line ..... no digging was required to mount this sign. It was to be placed on the stacked stone mount already there. When we put in the emergency shut-off for the propane dispensing station, HeWho ran the line out to the sign in order to put a light on the sign. This was some time ago. Seems "someone" either ran over the outlet with the mower or the weed eater and did not fix it immediately. Time allowed the extended wire to disappear. I since bought a solar light .....

This is the front side that most of the traffic sees.


 And, this is the back side. This side was previously just blank. The letters on the front side were cut out of thin plywood and then painted. The back side is painted directly on the plywood. I think the space below the letters cries out for something more. Maybe ..... frogs?


The sign went up yesterday! Today, HeWho does not paint, asked me to touch up any spots that needed it. "Do I need a ladder?" I am not tall and I am old .... I am not going to attempt to climb on the rock base under the sign. HeWho looked at me like it was an unreasonable question. I painted as high as I could manage to reach.

2 comments:

Val said...

You need one of those long roller thingies so you don't have to climb! Yes, frogs would be good on the sign.

Kathy G said...

I second everything Val says.