I woke to snow on the ground this morning. Two days ago it felt like Spring was in the air. This new blast of cold has my joints in a roil. I have become immune to the smell of Theragesic.
I am still working on the upper cabinets. Wonder if I will ever be done. Took a few days to convince HeWho hides saws from me to take out the shelves in one cabinet. The cabinet that had the odd doors. The doors were thick and ornate and, well, I hated them. I had planned to replace them with doors similar to the ones I already have. I found ONE. I need TWO. So I decided to just leave the doors off.
This caused HeWho to stare at me like I had finally gone completely mad. I ignored him. It is the cabinet that goes into the corner and I rarely use anything stored in it. It is just too hard to reach. It is directly over the sink and the two shelves were permanently attached. I was pretty sure they were and I can now testify to the fact that they are. All my effort with the hammer failed.
So, I say to the man with the saw, "Would you please cut those shelves out of the cabinet." He sighed deeply and went off in search of his handy dandy saw that will saw any thing. He came back and told me it was in his truck. So, you think to yourself "So, go get it." His truck was in the shop. I know he was secretly thrilled to not do my bidding. This was last week. His truck was fixed and he cut the shelves out yesterday.
I have decided to fit the opening with a plate rack. But, it will have to be custom made, I can't find one that will fit. I want to place the plates facing out, so it will have to be adjustable or made to fit.
I told him how to do this with the materials already on hand. 2X2's and dowels. You would think I was speaking a different language. He says, "Can't you just buy one?"
But, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The back of the cabinet is ugly. Bad ugly. A 4" piece of particle board graces the top and the bottom to attack it to the wall behind it. HeWho hides saws installed it, so there must be 40 or so screws holding it in. Placed randomly and not all the same kind of screws. Ugly. I rummaged around my salvaged wood and found some pieces of bead board. I measured and found that I had enough, they were of various length and would need to be cut to fit.
This where I almost went out to but myself a saw! But he always seems to know when I am on the edge of a purchase of such and he cut them all this morning. He then went on to explain to me that they would have to be attached only at the top and bottom (really, I am not an idiot!). My request to drag the compressor and nail gun into the kitchen fell on deaf ears. He is afraid I will shoot myself. He left to go do whatever he was going to do and told me he would install them upon his return.
They are all painted and I am just waiting for them to dry. I will be applying them with liquid nails. Apparently I can use a caulk gun okay. I painted the bead board gray, the same color I will be painting the lower cabinets. I am anxious to see how it turns out and get the rest of the kitchen done.