Friday, May 4, 2018

Outside Help?

It is hard to believe that snow was on the ground just a couple of weeks ago. My tulips are in full bloom and my peony is ready to burst forth. I wanted to post pictures, but for whatever reason, I am unable to download.

I was chatting with HeWho fancies himself to be one who corrects the grammar of others and he asked me why all the people around here start their sentences with, "So, I was ....." I had no answer and quite honestly, if that is the only thing that is bothering him, then he is one lucky guy.

Even when texting, I tend to use the correct spelling and punctuation. Punctuation is important if you want to get your meaning across with as little confusion as possible. I have a small sign I attach to the front door of the office if I need to go outside to work. The sign says:
OUTSIDE WORKING
NEED HELP?
CALL 573-564-7993
I thought it was pretty straightforward and conveyed the message that I was in the park, but was working on the grounds and would be available by phone.

Silly me. I was busy loading cans into the soda machine when I saw a car pull in. Knowing I had the sign in the door, I wasn't too worried. But, just in case I walked around the corner of the building to see a man and a woman with a small child gaping at the front door in consternation.

Before I could ask if they needed assistance, the man says, "You closed, ain't ya." I countered with, "No sir, I am open, what can I do for you?" He told me they had "some shoppin' " to do. I unlocked the door and they nearly knocked me down in their eagerness to get to their "shoppin' ".

"Let's see, we need some hot dogs and buns ...." I don't have hot dogs. I have corn dogs, individually wrapped and ready to heat in the microwave, burgers and small pizzas and such. I tell the man at about the same time young boy grabs a bag of Doritos and proceeds to pitch a small fit. He grabs a can of Pringles and demands to have both. I am pretty sure these were his grandparents, as they looked to be around my age. They tried to reason with the child, but he was having none of that.

He high pitched squeals were sending shivers down my back ..... and not in a good way. My dogs were alert to this and started barking their own displeasure with the noise. The man kept telling the child to "pick one, you ain't gettin' two". The woman was on her own quest in the freezer, looking at the ice cream. They ended up buying the child both things and an ice cream. They showed him!!

As they were finally leaving, the man asked about my sign on the door. "You lookin' for outside help?" I didn't even bother to explain the sign, just said NO! Even if that sign had been a sign for hired help, he would not have been in the running for the job. I am thankful they were not staying here, just passing through.



4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

At lest you weren't in the car with the young terror.

Val said...

If only you could turn your store into some kind of Willie Wonka emporium that would automatically deal with wayward young 'uns and teach them a lesson...

Adults, too!

Linda O'Connell said...

SO, I guess you are going to have to make a more concise sign: I am outside. Need help?
PEOPLE, no kidding! The weekend should bring a few crazies out. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

I am on the grounds, working. If you need me to help you, please call .....