Wednesday, May 9, 2018

My Assistance Is Not Required

Last weekend was busy. I knew it was going to be, after all, I am the one who takes reservations. I always try to accommodate the needs and wants of my campers. I ask questions, then using that info I create a "seating chart". Just one deviation from my assigned spaces can lead to a calamity of horrors. For me, that is.

So, when the very first reservation showed up to claim the double site I had assigned, they encountered a tenant's truck parked in one of the sites. Of course, the truck owner was not there to move it in a timely fashion and I had to resort to letting them have a coveted 50 amp spot for their 30 amp travel trailer in order for them to be with the other camper in the double site. No big deal for them, as that site has both electrical hook-ups. 

Big deal for me when I have last minute travelers needing 50 amps of power and I have none left. My competitor was full with a club event and all the overflow was sent to me. I found myself juggling sites all weekend. After the tenant moved his truck from the site located next to him, he parked it in a site behind him. This is an issue I will need to address. I sent HeWho is super nice and not confrontational to remedy the parking situation. Should have done it myself, then I could have had a nice friendly chat about speeding and going the wrong way on the one way road, along with encouraging him to park correctly. I like to educate folks, you know.

This set the mood for the weekend. Everything seemed to take twice as long as it should. A call from a late arrival had me in the office very late. They had three pre-teen children and wanted to linger around talking with me until the other people they were camping with arrived. One would think that children over the age of 10 would know how to act in a store. One would be wrong. They proceeded to grab the water toys and bat bags of chips around. Parents were oblivious and I had to tell them to leave the office and go to the campsite. I waited 30 minutes for them and was tired. The woman told me I looked tired. Funny how observant she seemed to be with me while her kids were creating havoc in my store.

Complaints all weekend. Radios were too loud, lights were too bright and why was the pool not open. I was ecstatic to see them all leave on Sunday. Monday evening was scheduled for pool painting. I had gathered plenty of help. HeWho ordered the paint. HeWho was also in charge of gathering supplies. Six paint rollers, a brush, etc. I was told my assistance was not required. This was fine with me.

But, in my need to control things and be the voice of reason, I stayed close. We chose to go with an epoxy paint this time. It is supposed to be more durable and last for 8 years. Having painted the pool every other year since we have been here, I am only too happy to think this will be the last time. I did a little research on this paint and read all the reviews. I wanted to change the color to aqua. But, that got shot down when HeWho claimed that the epoxy paint did not come in that color. It does, but from a different vendor. He somehow convinced himself that the epoxy he was ordering was premixed. I argued that it couldn't be, since it has a short pot life after you add the solvent.. He insisted that I did not know what I was talking about and to just leave it to him. I did. I just left it to him.

The paint came and was still in the shipping boxes on paint day. The big boxes had smaller boxes that looked to be big enough to hold 2 gallons each. I did a quick count and thought we would be okay. I had warned HeWho has not ordered enough paint in the past to order 2 more gallons that the calculations given would require. Apparently he chose to ignore this advice.

I was there when we opened the very first box. It held ONE gallon of paint, that was only 3/4 full .... leaving room for the solvent to activate it. Just like I said. I announced right then that we did not have enough paint. I tried to direct the men to paint the sidewall first, then start on the floor of the deep end. Nary a one did listen to me. I was suddenly the go-for. "Bring that gadget to open the paint" "We need some stir sticks" "We need a brush".

It came as no surprise to me that we came up VERY short of paint. The entire sidewall is not finished. The floor of the pool is about half-way done and the steps are partially painted. No, they didn't need my input.

More paint was ordered and was supposed to be here today. Won't be here until tomorrow. HeWho confessed that he did not do a recalculation of the number of gallons needed when he ordered the paint. He decided that he "remembered" that 8 gallons had been enough to paint the pool last year, so he ordered 10 to be on the safe side. We didn't paint the pool last year. It has always taken at least a dozen gallons. And, HeWho is the one person who should never rely on his memory. Or, his reading skills, since he was convinced that this stuff was pre-mixed.

I just hope the weather does not interfere with tomorrow's painting event. It can't be done while the sun is shining on the pool. Has to be done in the evening after the line of trees creates some shade around 6:00. This will give them a 3 hour window of opportunity to finish. Without me.


3 comments:

Val said...

Good luck with that!

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, I wish them luck.

Cathy said...

Oh if only life was that simple!