Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Making Fun

You know how I am always making fun of phone calls I get? Perhaps I shouldn't do that.

I mentioned the ruined cabinets in my last post, and how I employed Craig and his listings to locate some really thrifty replacements. I responded to several of the listings that met my requirements. Most of them were by e-mail. I always included my phone number and waited not so patiently for any of them to call or e-mail me.

He Who hates the prospect of taking out the old wet cabinets had proclaimed a desire to do so last week. I forbade any action on his part until I found replacements. I could just imagine myself still hauling dishes to our bathroom in the next year as he pondered what to do about replacing the missing cabinets.

I do not want to spend any money on this kitchen, other than to make it serviceable. He Who offered to buy the necessary base cabinets from a wholesaler and just replace the two ruined ones. This would mean I would have two new cabinets and add one more style of door that did not match either of the other three styles I currently have. My mission was to find someone's discards as they remodeled their kitchen. The two unfinished base cabinets I needed would have cost nearly $300. Cheapest ones I could find ...... made of inferior materials.

I found enough cabinets, uppers and lowers to furnish my entire kitchen ..... with some left for only $100! Made of wood and the counter top is being thrown in, along with a sink. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love a bargain beyond all else! Just ask my kids!

So, the man called me on Friday, just when I had given up on all the responses I had made. As luck would have it, he is nearly 3 hours from here. He Who installs cabinets for his wife is loading as we "speak".

But, yesterday as I was planning my week and trying to sort and file, it occurred to me that I did not see the cabinet information on my desk. I went to back to Craig and his list, hoping against hope that it was still there and I could contact them again. Not there. I went through everything on my desk and then started on the trash can under my desk. For the life of me, I could not find the scrap of paper with the information. I e-mailed the seller again and hoped that he would check his e-mail. I figured they were doing the same thing I was doing ...... emptying the old cabinets.

Finally, in desperation, I began scrolling back on my landline to Friday and calling numbers that had no caller ID name on them. I could eliminate the names that I knew or those who had called for reservations.

The calls went something like this: "Hi, my name is Kathy. Did I recently purchase some cabinets from you on Craigslist?" Some people were rude that I had interrupted their evening. Some people had conversations with me. Good thing I am not shy. I finally found the man I had talked to Friday and once again recorded his address and phone number. See ...... I can't make fun of people  on the phone anymore. Oh, who am I kidding, I will do it again!

3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Yea for new cabinets, and I meant that from the bottom of my heart.

Kathy G said...

Please don't stop making fun of people on the phone! If you did I wouldn't have anything to laugh at.

Val said...

I do believe that is a prime example of sweet, sweet irony!