Thursday, December 30, 2021

Appraising Shenanigans

The long awaited appraisal happened yesterday. Did I want an appraisal? Not really. On the other hand, I don't want to start this process all over again, as we are 6 months into this.

We had an appraisal on our new home at the suggestion of our real estate agent. It was not cheap, we paid for it. The report form the appraisor was very professional and pointed out some issues about the shared well that we had not considered. Other than that, he checked the roof, the exterior of the home, as well as the interior. He inspected all the utility entries and the grounds. No surprises, and there should be no surprises in the future.

Unsure what the appraisal of a business would entail, we just went with the flow. I am still coughing and my voice is raspy and I still feel pretty crappy. Best to leave me alone. I did not think the living quarters would be under scrutiny. I was wrong. There are boxes everywhere, empty and packed. We are merely waiting to go. The jovial man and his younger helper carrying a hose reel tape measure just came on in. 

I grabbed up my biter, Cujo and held him during the entire invasion. Prone to chat, the appraiser seemed more interested in my dog breeds than anything else. He took pictures of all the rooms at a leisurely pace and sauntered through chatting about this and that having nothing to do with an appraisal.

In hind sight, maybe I should have left Cujo to do his favorite job and maybe he would have left faster. Despite the missing front teeth (they don't know this), Cujo can present quite viciously and if he senses that his master (me) might enjoy a good show, he will attack. If he were to attack, his siblings would most like follow the leader and do likewise.

But I digress in my imagination. All the financials are in the possession of the would be buyers and the bank. I was surprised when he said he wanted to go over my books, knowing that all that information was in their possession. Was this a lie detector test for me? He had my brochure clenched in his grasp and began with his questions. I rasped out the answers and then when he started asking redundant questions, I pointed to his hand and told him to refer to the brochure. Then he wanted my personal email and my cell number. I said, "For what reason, you have the campground number and email and if you were to call me on my personal line or email me, I would not be pleased, and I would make sure you knew it!"

Then he went outside to plunder through the park. I don't know that any measurements were taken by what I was told was an expert at appraising. No one climbed on the roof, or checked out the well or the holding tanks. We were told he would have the appraisal done in two days time and would call with any questions. He did not offer any credentials and I wonder if he was real!!

We certainly did not pay for this appraisal, we refuse to pay any costs related to the sale of the park, since they reduced their offer. Is this a ploy to try to reduce the asking price again? It won't work, as much as I do not want to be here, I will refuse to sign such a document. My signature has to be there or the sale will not go through. I may not want to start over again, but I seriously doubt it will take another 6 months.

My patience for shenanigans is at an all time low. 

 

5 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Such shenanigans are testing

RunNRose said...

From your description of the visit, I would highly suspect that it is more shenanigans on the part of the ??buyers!
By the way, I am LOVING the daily posts. Am really feeling spoiled. Will miss your blog immensely if you stop it!

Joanne Noragon said...

I am so sorry things are going poorly at the end.

River said...

Fingers crossed here for no more shenanigans and a speedy settlement.

Write from the Heart said...

Appraisals are like going to the doctor. They always find something to fix. I hope you can get this ball rolling and head for the Carolinas. I know you are ready. Happy New Year.