Sunday, October 27, 2019

HeWho Had A Heart Attack, Part Two

After resting fitfully in my own bed and comforting my dogs (Toni Louise searched for her master and after circling atop his pillow many, many times finally settled on that same pillow and slept.), I arose and showered and headed back to the hospital.

About the hospital …. why he chose to head east instead of west to Columbia, a mere 40 minutes away is still a mystery to me. Instead he ended up in St. Charles, 63 miles from home. A pretty straight shot on the interstate, but Columbia is so much closer. I suppose he was so used to taking Kevin that he just automatically headed that way.

I am well familiar with the route to the hospital now. With my youngest daughter here, I don't even have to think. She is my rock. I can just sit back and let her make all the decisions for me. She made sure I ate and that I had everything I needed. Always there to shove me up when I would want to just slither to the floor and bawl my eyes out. My girl is in charge!

I am sitting here in the hospital with my feet on his bed while we wait. The Halloween event is happening without me. I know I could have cancelled, but I had promoted it and built all those props. I have more help than I know what to do with and everything is under control.

He is still in ICU. Surgery was scheduled for Monday. A triple by-pass. He is feeling a lot better. All episodes of chest pain have diminished and he is no longer on morphine. Just nitroglycerin and Heparin drips going. The pump that was helping oxygenate and move his blood through his heart has been removed and he can get up with assistance.

My daughter and her family have gone home and my son will be here tonight. The sister of HeWho and her husband have come and gone, as well. His cousin will be here tomorrow. I am not alone! Even if there was no family here, I would not be alone. My Kamper family has been taking good care of me.

The initial cardiologist came in and talked to us and drew a diagram of the major arteries to show us just how damaged they were. It was an impressive amount of blockage, most in the 90% range. I could understand how an angioplasty was not a good option. Not only were there a lot of blockages illustrated, but he described the "good" portions as being filled with a lot of "junk". I told him it was sausage biscuit gravy from McDonald's. He was amazed horrified to know what his diet is like. Add the cigarettes and the man was a walking heart attack anyway.

Now he has spoken to the surgeons without his wife and he has been removed from the surgical schedule in favor of another attempt for angioplasty. I have mixed feelings about this. Recovery will be so much easier and quicker, but I am not convinced this is a good and lasting solution.

If the attempt is not successful, he will have to wait to be placed on the surgical schedule again and then still have the bypass. Well, unless they damage the arterial wall with the attempt and then he will have an emergency bypass.

I hate that I know all this. I can't just blindly trust the surgeon. I am waiting to voice my concerns. My sweet son is here and I am so happy to see him!! 



10 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I am glad you have family around to support you.
HeWho is in my prayers

Linda O'Connell said...

I know exactly how you feel! Knowing is not always the best, is it? So glad you are among family and friends. Prayers for HeWho...and you.

dkzody said...

I know this is hard for you, and I hope you have really good cardiologists who will just demand you do the right thing. I've liked that about the ones I've met here in Fresno. They don't fool around and they tell it like it is. These are the professionals who do this stuff all the time. You have to trust them.

Val said...

It's good that you have support, and that HeWho is feeling better. The doctors will get him fixed up. In my experience with doctors, they've always been very guarded with a prognosis. HeWho has a lot of people pulling for him.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have so much going on, Kathy; it's wonderful you have the support of family and friends. I hope hewho can chuck the smokes when he's released, and eat good old oatmeal for breakfast. Not the instant crap. I think of you.

sgsmith said...

Sometimes it is almost easier to be the patient then the one sitting on the sidelines. I am glad you have a strong support group of family and friends to help you through this.

River said...

It does seem as if the bypass is the best option. I'm glad you have so many around you for help and comfort.

msj09027 said...

Kathy,

I'm a regular reader of your blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Please remember to take care of yourself through this. It's very easy to forget about you when worrying about a loved one. When he gets out, he'll need you to be strong.

God bless,

MJ

Debby said...

I dread the day when I have to go through this with my husband. Heart disease runs in his family and he is on some heart meds etc. Just a couple of weeks ago he was in emergency due to chest pains. It wasn't a heart attack, but still - I am taking notes.

Gosh, I hope he gets better fast and you can be relieved of all that stress. It's good you have friends and family to support you. Hang in there! Prayers for all concerned, including the doctors!

RunNRose said...

Good that your son is there with you, Please keep us informed as to what goes on. We are all rooting for you.