Friday, April 27, 2018

Spring Has Sprung

As it turns out, Wall-E is a perfectly healthy 10 year old dog. No parasites. His white blood count was only SLIGHTLY elevated. So, thank you to the vet for making me worry about this dog that primarily belongs to my grandson. I was having some very dark thoughts about telling Gavin that the dog he entrusted to my care was not well.

The bad part about living in a rural setting is being removed from the convenience of having services close by. While it is true that the small town we are close to has a vet clinic, we had a horrible experience there with our Saint Bernard and vowed to never return. We managed to find another vet close by and absolutely loved her. Her practice included farm animals, as well as pets. Her fees were so reasonable and she was accommodating to our crazy schedule. She knew all of our pets and the last service she performed for us was helping my Oscar over Rainbow Bridge. Her practice closed for her to return to school.

This new clinic has so many vets that I doubt we will ever see the same one twice. Those extra tests for the elevated blood count pushed the cost of Wall-E's visit to $500! I don't pay that for my dentist unless I have a full round of x-rays every time I go .... and it still did not hit $500.  I will be looking around for another vet to take care of my pets. It would be well worth the drive.

Wall-E is in awe of his short nails. He even let me hold his paw as we examined them together. They itemized his clipped nails as "complimentary" on the invoice. 

The most important thing is that Wall-E is a happy boy. No more loose teeth to annoy him and make him feel bad. His siblings were ecstatic to see him come home. 

Back to normal here, Spring seems to have happened over night and I find myself doing outdoor chores all day long. And the days are long!! My vegetable garden is going in late, but the asparagus is already producing. The strawberries have a thousand blooms and that many weeds! Mowing every other day to keep the grass down. Baby geese on the pond and I hear my Killdeer dweeping as I work. The humming birds swooped in to chastise me as I fill the planters on the front porch. I washed all their feeders yesterday and have them ready to hang this morning.

My coffee cup is empty and I hear the great outdoors calling my name .......

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Asparagus! It's in at our market, but the closer to home it grows, the better it tastes!

Anonymous said...

Yay for healthy dogs and warm temperatures.

Val said...

It's good that Wall-E is feeling fine, but I think you're right to search for a new vet! The frogs here are going crazy in the evenings. I can hear them inside the house (the frogs themselves are OUTSIDE!), even with windows closed.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

It is good that Wall-E is home again and feeling much better but the cost of seeing a vet can be a joke