Thursday, April 19, 2018

Aches and Pains

Another day, another ceiling. It is like I don't know how to stop! Then the walls ...... the more I do, the more I see that needs to be done. I just took a very long, very hot shower and noticed that the bathroom ceiling is looking drab .... Next time I shower I will avert my gaze from the ceiling.


It occurs to me that the trim painting awaits my attention. I was thinking that it can't possibly be worse than painting the ceilings, so I grabbed the paint and started on the baseboards. Everything is going to be white. I was hoping this would be a quick job, just scooting along the floor until I needed to move a piece of furniture. Not much furniture to move. Yep, I was going to knock this task out in no time.

I must be delusional! I started with the gate that keeps the canines out of the bedroom until bedtime. Martha, the boy cat, is very agile and not to be contained. I figured the gate would be more or less dry by bedtime. This is important because HeWho is not allowed to paint would, no doubt, smear the paint climbing over the gate. It is not a tall gate and I can easily step over it without touching the paint, but better safe than sorry. The dogs won't approach the gate unless I am on the other side. 

So, there I sat, on the cold floor, painting away. The cold floor was making my joints hurt and I decided that I should just call it a day and get a hot shower. This is when I discovered that I could not get up off the floor! People of a certain age should not try to sit upon the floor to do, well, anything! I had been dragging a damp towel to clean any drips in my wake. A full sized bath towel (actually a towel used to dry the dogs). I decided to use this towel as a cushion for my knees. I thought fondly of the good old days when I would just use my hand on the floor for leverage and just pop up to my feet.

I thought of calling HeWho was plumbing the bath house for help. That would have been a disaster, since we both would have started laughing and that would have made us too weak to accomplish much. I even thought about telling him to bring the hand truck to use to kind of wiggle under my butt and shove me to a standing position. More laughter, bad idea. The canines seemed to be fascinated by my position on the floor. I finally got up on my knees and painfully made my way to a standing position. What with my arthritic right wrist and bum left shoulder, it wasn't easy.

I suppose I will be nursing all my aches tomorrow.

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, nursing aches sooner than tomorrow. The last time I got down, I achieved knees. Mistake, Mistake, Mistake I moaned over and over, attempting to rise again.

Kathy G said...

That's exactly why I don't do projects around the house any more.

Val said...

I find it hard enough to get up off a couch! I can't imagine the floor. I guess I'd just have to live the rest of my life there. A few years ago, when I was more spry, I tripped on a throw rug and had to worm-crawl my way to the couch to use it for leverage to get up. Everyone else was asleep upstairs, and I was in the basement.

Linda O'Connell said...

I knew it was time to retire when I had to rollover from a sitting position on the floor and and pull myself up on a piece of furniture. My students thought it was a trick.