Friday, March 23, 2018

Let Them Eat Cake!

I have been in a grand funk lately. The gray skies do not help and I just do not feel good. As I sat sipping my coffee and watching HGTV, a nagging headache at the base of my skull .... I decided to just pretend to feel good and see how that works.

As the aspirin hit my empty stomach (yes, I know better), the burning sensation hit mid-sternum and I was light headed. My heart beat was irregular (nothing new), but ..... just in case I am having a heart attack, I ran to take a shower. Priorities and all that, it would be rude to have a medical emergency with my hair standing on end and ungroomed, wouldn't it?

While in the shower, I remembered that my HeWho has a milestone birthday tomorrow. He already has his Medicare card, so what shall I do for his big day? Perhaps I will laminate his Medicare card in lieu of a birthday card! Seems like, I don't know ..... not enough? I declared that we should only celebrate those years ending in zero when I turned 50, but 65 is the Medicare milestone.

I will bake his favorite cake, my least favorite cake, yellow cake with milk chocolate icing. I won't eat any unless I can scrape the icing onto his plate. He is a big fan of me doing this, but he can't eat the whole cake before it goes stale. So, I invited 3 other couples to join us for dinner. I will have no choice but to get my butt in gear and plan a menu and clean my house! Done!!

Beefed Up Chicken, Rice Pilaf and something green. A trip to the produce department will make that decision. In the meantime I was happily going about the business of daily chores, having a clean scalp and body, I went to make the bed. Martha, the boy cat was asleep atop my pillow (that's why I have a cat hair on my eyelashes). Normally, I would cradle him in my arms and move him to the foot of the bed while he purred. 

Last night he awakened me at 3:20 to go out, having managed to evade both of us as we were getting ready for bed. We usually let him out as the dogs are coming in. So, I unceremoniously dumped him in the floor. He gave me his most indignant look. I have warned him repeatedly about interrupting the sleep of the person who literally saved his life with a bottle of cat formula. He thinks he is the master of my universe, the ruler of my animal kingdom. He is wrong ...... I am the master of this universe and the ruler of the livestock allowed in my house!

Having a purpose, I will now go tackle that universe with a dust cloth and vacuum. As Paul Harvey used to say ..... good day.

3 comments:

Val said...

The universe will be more sparkly and shiny for your efforts. We thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello Kathy. I have been stopping by periodically and thought it was time to comment. Problem is I don’t really have anything very entertaining to contribute. Martha, the boy cat is the catalyst though. Cats hmmmmm, at least with the ones I have known, you might have to be satisfied with just a draw. I don’t think I ever did better then that. Regards, MaggieB


Linda O'Connell said...

Our cat who found us comes romping through the house when we climb into bed, bounds up, looks at hubby's face, then mine, and meows goodnight,then goes to his cover on the foot of our bed and settles down...until 4:30. One of these days!