Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Diagnosis : Bronchitis

Bronchitis. I have it. I am happy to report that I now have some very real cough syrup! After three nights of sleeping semi-upright in my recliner I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, goofy with cough syrup and drooling on my pillow.

I went to the clinic, then dropped my prescriptions off and headed home to do some serious coughing. Last night at 3:00 I was sipping hot tea with honey and a super shot of whiskey. Didn't help, just gave me indigestion. I slipped into my bed at 6:30 this morning and began coughing again.

I dispatched my errand boy to pick up my cough syrup and Z-pac. I asked for a bag of potting soil while he was out. I need to re-pot my pepper seedlings. "How big a bag you want?" (yes, he is always grammatically correct). I let it be known that I wanted the biggest bag they had available. I have a lot of hanging plants to get out and it will not be wasted.

I texted him while he was out and asked him to pick up corn flakes for a chicken recipe I wanted to try. He came back, without my drugs and cornflakes. I didn't even ask why, but when he left again to go get them I noticed a 40 lb. bag of TOP SOIL on the front porch .... IN A ROCKING CHAIR.

First of all, I asked for POTTING SOIL. His reasoning about that was that the Miracle Grow was in a big bag, but was only 13 lbs. I try to understand his line of reasoning, but sometimes I just feel bewildered. I don't think I want to know why he put the bag in the chair.

He did get my drugs and the Miracle Grow, and he asked where to put the potting soil! The kitchen seemed to be the best place, since that is where I am re-potting all these seedlings. I dare not put them in the ground until I am sure the cold weather won't sneak back. I now have 19 pepper plants and 7 tomato plants in the window and behind the sink with a grow light.

And now, as I feel the codeine slipping into my blood stream, I am headed to my bed to give my bronchial tubes a much needed rest. In the back of my mind I can hear my mother mispronouncing my illness. She always called it "bronical". Her aneurysm was "anarism". Could not correct her, either. She just dismissed me as being wrong.

2 comments:

luksky said...

I can empathize. I used to get bouts of bronchitis in my younger days. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh my you pegged mothers and husbands with this post. That Z pac should knock bronchitis. hope you are better soon.