Monday, November 29, 2021

The Journey Continues

 I need to grocery shop, but I don't want to. Bring more things here to pack up. I know we will eat most of it, but I just am not in the right frame of mind. Out of milk, I made french toast with an egg and water. It wasn't so bad and think of the calories saved.

The unloading of the coach continues. Everything must be unloaded before it goes in for body work. A little teaser there for you. And when I say everything, I mean everything, as I never plan to be a passenger in this RV again.

You may recall me telling you how very steep that driveway is. Doesn't seem bad in the car, but way up high in my seat in the RV, it was just shy of terrifying. Part of that due to the close proximity HeWho came to the edge of the ravine. He does things like that, just to scare me. After the night in the cold RV, I gathered up some sheets and blankets and made the queen bed in the house and we slept in there where it was warm.

Although it made the morning ritual for the dogs super easy with no leashes involved, the humans had to go out into the chilly RV to take care of business. I have to confess here that I might have squatted in the dog yard, much to the consternation of my four legged babies. HeWho is equipped for such adventures, but for me it was hard to say which place was colder, the RV or the dog yard.

We finished pulling all the boxes from the basement and my car was empty. We simply sat for awhile in the warmth of our new home. I ventured out with the sun high in the sky and raked leaves. No internet to entertain us, no TV reception either. HeWho managed a nap in the recliner while I played outdoors. I gathered supper makings and cooked on my new stove. The RV had a lone skillet on board and some metal storage bowls. I used one to make rice and didn't burn the bottom like I thought I might. It was the only thing I could find that would hold a cup of rice and water. The following night I made spagetti. I could have used that skillet to make everything, but I had to do the dishes in the RV. We had to shower in the RV. It was a chilling experience despite the hot water, but we made it work. We ventured out to explore our new area almost everyday after the big unload. On day four we made our way to a Dollar Tree and bought a deck of cards. 

We picked out a garage for the new RV that we have yet to purchase and my car and went on a she shed expedition. The sky high price of building materials had my mind in over-drive. It will most likely be an on-site build, due to accessibilty being somewhat limited for big trucks. I was itching for internet capability to access Craigslist or Marketplace. No such luck, but we were told by someone in our new "neighborhood" that when we did get it hooked up, it will be lightning fast and that we will be able to use it to stream TV. Good to know.

On day three, I sat in my solitude waiting for the man of the house to awaken and drive to the little convenience store down the road for my coffee. I thought I knew how we would be able to turn the coach around and be able to drive out instead of backing out. It would require some maneuvering on the part of the driver. This would require patience on the part of the driver, as well.

I slowly explained my plan to the driver. I went over it several times, even knowing he was tuning me out to think of his own way. Think of a school bus making a three point back-up turn ..... only this would be much tighter and require more like a 12 point back up turn. I walked off the space and I knew it would work, as I am quite good at approximating measurments. I had no plans to drive the behemoth myself. Hind sight being 20/20, I almost wished I had driven it myself.

HeWho mounted the drivers seat and I positioned myself to be visible in his mirrors. Keeping in mind their is a camera that shows you your rear as well, I was still worried that he would not obey my directions. I have experience with this man not listening when I speak. I don't know what possessed me to think this day would be different. I am an optimist, you know.

We moved my car way up the drive and began. I yelled "GO SLOW" a lot. There were things I did not want him to hit. Like the new house, the LP tank, either of the existing sheds, and ... ME! Keep in mind that the clearing our house sits on is not that big, the embankment that is part of our property is quite tall, taller than me and is part of the mountain, with big granite boulders in it. I did not want him to hit the mountain either.

He quickly became impatient and would not listen to me tell him which way to turn and when to stop. No big surprise there. Hit hit the mountain (embankement), cursing, then pulling forward, ripping the entire back fender piece on the drivers side out, but not off. He got out to take a look and without a word, got back in and pretty much did it again, not stopping until he scraped the entire side halfway to the front.

He said he couldn't see or hear me. I was yelling at the top of my volume. My volume is considerable, as I have been told I don't need a microphone. I was in the line of the mirror and waving frantically while I yelled. Even if he didn't hear or see me, you would think the initial impact would have gotten his attention.

He did get it turned around. It sat at the ready for our departure and we went inside to gather our senses again. The day before we bought groceries and they were in the fridge and freezer. A lot in the freezer. Things we like and can't buy here were there, like the frozen creamed corn. I bought a cool dozen to tide us over until we move. Low in sodium and tastes so much better that the canned. Anyhoo, on one of his many trips to the RV he disovered the fridge was not working because it was so unlevel.

The way it sat going up hill we could never have slept in it, as all our blood would be rushing to our heads. So we plugged in the fridge in the house and transferred everything to the new location. Without anything to distract us, it was good to have an activity!!

Stay tuned for more! Don't forget to find the humor in all of it, as we did.

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

You are a GREAT story-teller!

RunNRose said...

Yes, you are a great story-teller! Just too bad sometimes that you actually LIVE the story before you tell it!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I guess I agree that you are a good story teller, there is so much you have to do