Sunday, August 2, 2020

This Is Not A Hoax

Most days of late have been spent in one or another of my gardens. I like to get out early, while the dew still covers the ground and it is somewhat cool. Weeding is a solitary activity requiring little thought. Just grab and pull, sling and do it again. How far you sling that weed usually correlates to what ever thought your mind is dwelling on.

Missing Kevin is there at the edge of my mind. Right now, though, I am sending prayers up for my sister-in-law and her family. She has Covid and is on a ventilator. I almost called Kevin to tell him before I remembered that he isn't taking calls anymore.

When HeWho was in the hospital, I was able to go there every day and see him for as long as I wanted. I could call him and find reassurance hearing his voice. My brother-in-law can't do this. My niece and nephew can only hear the report of her condition from medical staff caring for her. Her brother, HeWho, can't show support by traveling to Georgia and going to the hospital to visit her.

This virus is horrible. It is not a hoax, as so many have tried to "explain" to me. I have a mask rule that must be obeyed before entering my building. That doesn't mean that everyone obeys. Most people do. Some walk all the way to the door before reading the neon green sign with large letters that says, "DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT A MASK COVERING YOUR MOUTH AND NOSE". A few say they didn't see the sign, some ask if we provide the mask, like Walmart does. All of them have masks in their vehicles.

My favorites are the ones who, upon arrival to the door and reading the sign, announce "I ain't got no mask and I am coming in!" These would be new to my world, never having met me. Maybe never having had a door slammed in their face. After they realize that no amount of bluster will gain entry, I go outside to check them in. This is when they attempt to "educate" me about the hoax "them Democrats" have hoisted upon the world.

Depending on my mood of the moment I either ignore them or look on with wide-eyed wonder as they ramble on until it is my turn to speak. Then I will ask if I can share my opinion. I told one man that I thought he was an idiot, then asked if he still wanted to check in. He did and I told him that he could, but that he was not allowed to share his stupid nonsense with others while here (my park, my rules). I told another that perhaps we would be better off with a clever Democrat in office, as they were able to get the entire world to cooperate with the "hoax".

This is not a hoax, people. This is real and it is affecting so many people, so many families. My heart hurts for my sister-in-law and all of her family and friends who wait for that daily report about her condition. Please remember her in your prayers. Her name is Pam, the sister of HeWho. God knows her and you don't even have to pull weeds to offer prayer!

10 comments:

ellen abbott said...

the world has certainly dumped on you lately. no, it is not a hoax. how can nearly 160,000 dead Americans be a hoax.

RunNRose said...

It's like we are living in the world of Star Trek. A virus has sneaked up on us, all right. But it is NOT Covid19. It is willful ignorance. Unfathomable stupidity. I have been reading about crowds of tourists inundating towns in England and Wales. This ignorance virus is there, too. People shoulder to shoulder, refusing to wear masks, insisting that Covid is nothing to be afraid of. And, look at Germany. Thousands of people protesting rules that might curb the spread of Covid.

I so hope Pam improves and is able to go home soon.

Jim Davis said...

Kathy, I hope Pam continues to improve. I am so sorry to hear of this. Good for you for standing up to these idiots that think Covid is a "Democrat Hoax". If it is a hoax, then why are 156,000 Americans dead? The ignorance is appalling. Hang in there.

dkzody said...

I am so sorry that your are suffering through a COVID case in your family right on the heels of Kevin's passing. It is hard on your heart.

May the Lord bless you and your family. May He lay a healing hand on Pam and give peace and comfort to HeWho as he waits to hear.

Val said...

So sorry to hear this news. HeWho's sis Pam is in my thoughts.

Kathy G said...

Prayers for Pam and all who love her coming your way.

On Friday we were out the St. Louis metropolitan area and were in the minority wearing masks. I was glad to get back to my bubble.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is the most sad news that's come to me recently. We all are friends, and hurt hurts everyone. Pam is in my prayers. So are your weeds.

Linda O'Connell said...

Prayers for your sister-in-law. I like how you handled the camper!

River said...

I'm so sorry you have a family member suffering in hospital. On a larger scale, I am sorry for all who have been affected with and by this vicious virus. It's gaining traction here in Australia, Victoria (not my state) is the hardest hit so far, but still people even there are ignoring the rules to stay home, wear a mask, don't congregate in groups.

Anonymous said...

It's Not a hoax. Not only do I have family who've been hospitalized with Covid, but friends as well. Others friends & family I know have been symptom free & able to stay at home in quarantine. Irregardless, I think it's selfish of those who refuse to wear a mask. Now, IF they have a medical condition that prevents them from being able to, that's different. But, the majority who don't are just stubborn & selfish. Sure they're aggravating, glasses fog up when you wear them, it's almost suffocating to wear them, etc etc. But, I wear one anyway. Not only for MY safety but for OTHERS too.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts & prayers Kathy. Sending warm hugs your way...