Monday, December 31, 2018

Ringing In The New Year

 A little play on words there. I took a picture of my own hand and realized how old my skin is! And how bumpy my joints are. I mean, I see my own hands all the time, but a picture makes you really look. I took the photo to show you my wedding rings. The last time I had them off my finger was over 25 years ago. I had the diamond reset, as the prongs were loose. After the repair I slipped them back on …….. and they will remain there until I die, because I CANNOT GET THEM OFF. 

My daughter, Jill told me that she would like to have them after I am ….. gone. I know many people want to be buried with sentimental things, but I am not one of them. As far as I am concerned, I can go out the way I came in. No adornments necessary. She said she would have the rings cut off, but I told her to just have them cut my finger off. I won't feel it and why mess up the rings if you don't have to. She did not agree to me solution.

All that aside. I had mentioned to HeWho loves me that since my hands are always in dirt, dishwater or paint, I would like to have just a band. That is assuming I can use some sort of magical technique to remove the ones on my finger. I was thinking that it would be a nice gift for our anniversary. 

HeWho is always at a loss for gift ideas did not take the bait. Our anniversary is December 17. He got a tool bag full of tools for me. He could have given me that for Christmas. My tool bag is purple and all the tools have purple handles. The theory being that if he or anyone else saw a purple tool they would shy away from it, knowing it was mine. All very well and he did put some thought into the gift. He has used them already!

Since the time I told him that the flower bed needed to be fertilized and he gave me 40 lbs. of, yes, manure, for Mother's Day one year, I am very careful about what I say around gifting times of the year. You never know what little nugget of information he might pick up on. He has done much better since the cow crap event. He got on a jewelry kick and I finally had to tell him that I only have 8 fingers. He did eventually try to upgrade my diamond with a one carat flawless diamond in a platinum setting. I am pretty sure this was my 25th anniversary gift.

This was about the time my joints started to grow and my hands would ache from time to time. I don't know if you have ever tried a platinum ring, but they are heavy. The ring was beautiful, but I wore it on my right hand, because I could not get the other rings off. If you have been reading my blog for some time, you will know that the ring was my gift to my baby girl when she got married. I could no longer wear it and was afraid I would lose it and it gives me as much happiness on her finger as it did on mine.

For Christmas, my true love gave to me …….



 exactly what I asked for. And it was a surprise. Just one little problem. He bought the same size he bought when he asked me to marry him! I have to take it back and get a larger size and maybe they can get the old set off. Without cutting them. Maybe.

8 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

What a sweet, sweet post. HeWho collected a few points.
You've probably tried everything, but when I had to take off a ring over a swollen knuckle, to go to surgery, the nurse used hand cream. Lots of it. Slathers. Then the ring was eased over the knuckle, a mm at a time, plus more hand cream. I couldn't have done it alone. It took me sitting still and her easing and using more cream, and easing again and again and again.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

My wedding ring doesn't fit my fat hands, so I don't wear it. Also I found out 3 weeks after we got married that I was allergic to the gold in the ring so would only wear it when I went out, taking the rings off as soon as I came home

Val said...

That is a beautiful band. HeWho done good! I hope your other rings can be removed without snipping. Of jewelry OR finger!

ellen abbott said...

there is a video out there on the internet about getting rings off using dental floss. here's just one of many links I found. https://youtu.be/rQ2HO1loieA

luksky said...

When my mom was on her death bed, my dad slipped the ring off of her finger and gave it to me, it's exactly like the one you have! I used to wear it all the time, but it's a little big on my finger and I've almost lost it a few times, so I just put it away to give to pass along to my daughter when I pass.

Kathy G said...

Your band is very nice, and the right sized one will look perfect on your finger.

Linda O'Connell said...

Wow! HeWho is on your good list. I can't get my rings off either.

River said...

You could probably get the old set off by soaking your finger in oil then gradually twisting and easing over the knuckles. A lengthy process, but the rings would remain undamaged. The new ring is very pretty. I haven't worn my rings in over twenty years, can't get them on over the knobbly arthritic knuckles.