Sunday, October 21, 2018

I Hope

It's the most wonderful day of the week …… Oh wait, not all of them are leaving.

While it is quite satisfying to watch the departure of my weekend guests, it has been a very long weekend with some arrivals last Wednesday. Some on Thursday and then Friday and an equal amount on Saturday. Most left today, some are leaving tomorrow, some Tuesday and some on Wednesday. Looks like I am coming full circle with no down time all week. It was also very difficult to make sure that the early arrivals were not blocked in with the late departures.

And that makes for complaints. Guess who gets to hear complaints? I do. While most people understand when I explain my reasons for their site assignment, there is always one who will not be satisfied, no matter what you do. I always start my explanation with an apology and most people can accept that and move on. If they are really irate, I have been known to compensate them with something free to soothe them.

The lady this weekend was not to be assuaged with anything. She was mad and flew into a rage at me. I apologized and tried to explain my situation, but she cut me off. Told me I chose the absolute worst sites in the park and that the sites they wanted were occupied by some campers from another state and "how often do you thing they will return?". Guess I should not have replied that this group returns every year, as that added fuel to her flame (and she didn't need any). After standing mute through the remainder of her tirade, I asked what I could do to make her feel better. I was prepared to refund a night's stay, but she replied with "NOTHING". So, I gave her that.

Later I still felt bad that I had failed to appease her. Her husband did not seem to be as unhappy with the site as she was and their friends had not complained. But, like the rest of the world, I want people to like me …. and my facilities. I decided as I went to bed that I would give them an night's stay as soon as I saw them the next day.

The next day found me just as busy as the previous one checking in campers and selling fire wood and ice and answering the endlessly ringing phone. I had no wiggle room at all on sites, completely booked and no cancellations. Everybody assigned those double sites knew they would have a neighbor backing in. These sites are about 100 to 150 feet long, so it's not like you are on top of each other. I have been in some really tight parks and mine is spacious enough.

The camper who was to occupy the site in front of my disgruntled customer arrived. Very nice people with a puppy. I got a puppy breath fix and lots of puppy kisses before sending them to their site. I get a call telling me the site is blocked by a truck. I send HeWho helps folks park to investigate. The sites in question were on the end and have extra parking space. I even pointed this out to the man when he checked in. I even let him pull in backwards so that his awning would meet the awning of the friend's camper. So, I can only assume that they parked their truck in the remaining space to annoy me.

HeWho always thinks the best of people even agreed that this was the case and he helped the front camper back in the remaining space in front of the truck with just inches to spare. Two can play that game! The front camper with be leaving before the blocked truck and should create no problem for them, but I am betting that it will. HeWho is not quick to anger has agreed to handle the complaint, should it arise.

Just writing this has made me tired! I only have about 4 hours to go, since we try to close early on Sundays (rarely happens, but I can hope). The pot of chili bubbles away in the slow cooker and I am looking forward to a ratty sweatsuit, thick socks, a bowl of chili, cornbread and a movie this evening. I hope.

6 comments:

Kathy G said...

I hope that crabby woman doesn't cause any more issues, but if she does please post!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Some people are only happy when they have something to complain about

RunNRose said...

I do hope you are able to enjoy your chili and cornbread! All the rainy, cooler days we had this past week caused me to have chili and cornbread. Good food! Helps with the stress!

Val said...

Well, YOU have chili and cornbread, and I bet that crabby woman doesn't.

R's Rue said...

Love Chili and cornbread.

Linda O'Connell said...

You are too nice. Tell them to hit the road, but not your signs. Send them to the state park. Dealing with the public is a pain.