Thursday, October 25, 2018

A Day Off

Taking a day off is hard to do, but I am determined to avoid as much as I can today.
Yesterday was the last mow of the year ……. I hope. After I finished up with mowing I tackled some garden chores by pulling dead annuals and collecting too much seed. One marigold plant had the biggest root structure I have ever seen with branches going in all directions. I yanked a little too hard and killed my shoulder.

Many annuals still languish in many gardens, but I am determined to rest my shoulder. You never know how much you use a body part until it fails you. I suppose I could clean the kitchen and cook, but here I sit contemplating life. 

Today is my granddaughter, Layla's birthday. Hard to believe that she is 18 years old. Not so very long ago (in my mind) I was walking into the hospital holding her 5 year old brother's hand, on the way to meet her for the first time. I asked Gage if, since he was my heart, his baby sister could be my soul. He looked up at me with those amazing blue eyes and said, "No, Gramma, I am all of that to you!"

Then we held her for the first time and my heart swelled even bigger, as it did with every new grandchild. There are no words that can describe just how much a grandchild is loved. My Layla has grown into an amazing young lady. Painfully shy as a little girl, she now displays poise and grace as she dances in competition. As smart as she is talented, she excels in everything she does. My only recent picture of her is in the dress I wore when I married her Grampa. I would add it here, but she asked me not to. 

It is also Charming Eddie's birthday, he is 2. I rarely remember my dog's birthdates. The fact that he was born on Layla's birthday makes him an exception. Like Layla he is gorgeous and sweet. I don't do birthday parties for my dogs. They lead exceptional lives every day. I sure wish I could see Layla today. Maybe I can take a trip soon and see them all. Not today, though. 

3 comments:

Val said...

EIGHTEEN??? How did THAT happen? Happy Birthday to Layla! Also hard to believe that Eddie is already two. Or fourteen in dog years...

luksky said...

Wow, I can't believe charming Eddie is already two. Seems like you just got him! Seems like the older I get, time just moves faster and faster...I guess that downhill ride sort of thing.

RunNRose said...

I had not thought about the "downhill" aspect. For sure do know that time flies always faster. Our only granddaughter was 21 on the 20th.
I suppose the time flying explains why the grandkids' childhood seems so much shorter than the kids'? Fun that Layla can fit into your wedding dress! Hope you have a peaceful weekend.