Friday, September 7, 2018

Teeter Totter No More

I posted my new store hours Tuesday as the last of the campers were leaving. I will not open until noon weekdays and close at 6 PM. The pool is done for the season and check-in is not until AFTER noon, so why open up earlier. That makes me working only 6 hours a day! No, that makes me stuck in the store for 6 hours. You will, no doubt find me doing other necessary chores, lest you are picturing me with my feet up watching TV during the down hours.

Saturday I will stretch it to 9 hours and open 10 AM til 7 PM. Sunday will be my short day, opening at 10 and closing at 5. Bringing me down to a 44 hour work week. This would mean that I work 67 hour weeks during the season. It occurs to me that I am too old for this! Holiday weekends are even more hours, since I am usually in the office until 10 PM, waiting for late arrivals and I keep the store open 9 AM until 9 PM for the entire weekend. Yes, I am complaining.

Since I am stuck in the office for 12 hours a day, I like to have access to wi-fi. I can read blogs, I can stalk Facebook, I can download audio books, I can communicate with the outside world or just play spider solitaire if I so choose. Makes the hours go quicker. But this past holiday weekend I was denied that simple pleasure. Someone in the park was streaming movies. 

When that happens, it knocks everyone off, including the movie streamer. I tell people this will happen, but there is always someone who decides to try anyway. They must have tried all weekend. At one point I felt like going door to door and finding them and telling them to get their butt outdoors and enjoy the pool while they could!

In addition to the speed demons that plague the park constantly, we had play ground equipment broken. About 10 years ago, I mentioned to HeWho loves to go places that we needed a see-saw. The base was already there. He purchased the board that same day. It lingered here for the next 9 and a half years waiting for the day of installation. When I was asked what that particular board was supposed to be, I told Kevin (aka my wife) what it was purchased for and he installed it the very next day.

Although it was a very sturdy board, it was meant for children. Young children. Not obese adults or hormone crazed adolescents. I saw a young man standing on either side of the center of the board and banging it up and down. I did yell at him and he did get off. But I could not be outside forever. I think he may have taken on the project of demolishing it as a challenge to me. Unfortunately, we don't have a camera on the playground. We no longer have a see-saw. It was broken in half.

3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Just sad.

Val said...

What is WRONG with people these days? Too bad your wife Kevin's prompt work was for naught. Just think, if HeWho had made that teeter-totter when you first asked, you might have gotten 9.5 years out of it. Because I don't remember people being so evil back then...

Linda O'Connell said...

When the hooligans in our area broke every mailbox on our street, after replacing them three times, my husband told the cop he was going to fill our mailbox with cement or rig a wire. The officer said, "Then YOU will be arrested."
Something is not right with people. I am so mad about the little shit who broke your teeter totter. Cameras! Spot, lights, alarms, or me screeching like a banshee at them.