Monday, September 24, 2018

My Time ...

Another day is here. It is overcast with a good chance for rain and my joints are screaming. I woke at 7 and let the dogs do their business and then crawled back into bed to try to sleep away the pain. Didn't work. I did sleep another two and a half hours. Now I feel even worse. Like I had a overdose of sleep.

As soon as the pool closes I switch to "winter hours". I post the hours outside for all to see. I don't open until noon. Check out is noon, therefore check-in is AFTER noon. No reason to open, since you do not have to come in to check out. So, as I sit here sipping coffee and checking e-mail as I wait for the aspirin to kick in and provide enough relief to get through the day, I am super annoyed at the man who keeps opening the storm door to make the bell ring. I can see him on the monitor and he is not one of my tenants. 

Still attired in my night gown, I am not ready to face the public. I ignore the intrusion as much as I can with 4 dogs barking to alert me. He finally leaves. I take a reservation from a call, secure in the knowledge that she cannot see me in my sleep attire, with my hair standing on end. I do go put clothes on  and run my fingers through my hair. It is 10:45 and I still have some down time …..

Well, maybe not. The man in the white truck has returned and is intent on waiting until someone comes to the door. I go. I am not happy. I apologize for my appearance and point to the sign and explain that we do not open until noon. He points to the sign with the pool hours and says he thought we opened at 11. "POOL HOURS" is pretty prominent on the sign and anyway, it is still not 11:00!

Was he bringing me business? Was he one of my vendors? Did he want to make a reservation? NO. He just wants to know what I charge for firewood. Didn't want any. Just wanted to know what we charge, so he could charge the same when he sold it. He was from the state park. He could clearly see that I wanted nothing more than to creep back inside to hide from the world (my children tell me my face is very expressive) and I even tell him that my joints are giving me a fit and I am hoping my aspirin kicks in soon. He keeps talking, oblivious to the obvious.

As I finally close and lock the door, I bemoan the 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back.
I am not usually so crabby. I love to talk …. ask anyone. Now I feel a little guilty that I was not very receptive to the man. Now it is time to open up and the aspirin has dulled my pain.  My personal time is over. 

4 comments:

Val said...

At least you weren't sitting around in tighty-whities like Hick, when that lady came to our door at nightfall, seeking her lost dog! However, a lost dog is a much better excuse to intrude than seeking prices to make a profit on wood.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Talk about annoying, I would have been tempted to tell him it was none of his business what I charge so piss off but that would be rude and I am not a rude person

Joanne Noragon said...

"OK, I must go now," shutting door in face.

Linda O'Connell said...

I wonder if he was scoping your place out. he could have telephoned to find out prices. be careful out there. All kinds of ticks in the woods, and the worst are lunatics.