Thursday, January 25, 2018

HeWho Is No Poop Scooper!

Still working on the ceiling. I am chomping at the bits to paint. HeWho does not feel my urgency to get the job done. He did manage to install the new back door ......

You might recall that I went along with him to insure that he got the right door. I looked at the illustration of the door and approved it. I wanted to make absolutely sure that he did not get the first one he saw matching my description (he almost did just that and the door he chose was twice as much as the one I wanted .... this is not my forever home!) and to also make sure he got the swing direction correct. Since we have been here the door has opened on the wrong side. No wait, I convinced him to install the door to open out for a year, then I wanted a screen door and that no longer would work. So, he changed the door to open in and I have worked with it since.

It opened in on the left side, making you have to walk around the door through a tight hallway and open it. This is the dogs exit to their yard and sometimes they would get stuck behind the door while I struggled with it and the cold wind would come funneling in. We got a door with a right hand opening side. HeWho unloaded the door and put it in the back yard awaiting a warm enough day to install it. 

Although he stopped in the middle of the ceiling project, I was happy to see him fiddling with the door. He had already removed all the trim and the freezing winds were coming in around the door. I was excited that he was going to get the new door in ........ until he came in to announce to me that the door did not fit. I am the one who measured the door opening. Before I even launched a search for the door. 36". How many times had I stressed that number on the way to the builder's supply?

I immediately thought I had measured wrong and apologized, hoping that my recent illness would serve as a good excuse for my error. But, it was just as I had measured. The store loaded a 32" door. He had to take it back and get the right one.

He is always up for a trip to the store, but a trip to the store from where we live involves lots of time and mileage. I was annoyed, but tried to take it in stride. This meant that it would be starting to get dark by the time he returned and the door would have to wait until the next day ...... if the weather was mild and it didn't rain.

The door is in. It seals out the weather, opens on the correct side and the 9 light window top provides lots of light in that dark corner of my kitchen. I am quite happy with the door. The dogs are confused, though. They keep running to the wrong side of the door and then I sometimes have to pick them up to convince them that the door opening is on the other side.

If that is the most annoying thing in my life, then I would have to say that my life is good! Today's 60 degree weather makes me want to dig in the dirt and plant things. I know it won't last. I took advantage of the weather to spend some time outside, though. You can never start planning your garden too soon! The dogs were so happy to accompany me and run figure 8's in the yard. 

The yard has not been properly patrolled while I have been sick. There was an amazing amount of dog poop! I am happy to report that I picked most of it up and the dogs are ecstatic. They have changed their habit of pooping all over the yard and have picked two areas on the outer perimeter. I guess they figured it was not going to be picked up and they had to take matters into their own paws. I hope this will become their habit. It will make the clean up easier for me. HeWho routes sewer does not scoop poop.

The day is coming to an end and the temperature is dropping. I am ready to prop my feet up and sip a cup of tea while the canines vie for my attention.

3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I would love, love, love a door and storm/screen door that opened in unison, not one to the right, one to the left. Men!

Val said...

Sorry that I am chuckling at my mental image of the dogs being fooled by the new door!

Linda O'Connell said...

I imagine those pups were glad to be outdoors running figure eights. Just when I shed my drearies on a 60 degree day, I hear the forecast of snow on Thursday. Poor confused dogs: door on wrong and now snow.