Thursday, August 2, 2012

"They Never Draw Blood"


The drought has not claimed everything. This sweet potato vine is from last year. It survived the winter and has grown, and grown. This is one plant. My secret? This is where I dump the mop bucket. I know I could pour that dirty water down the drain. Oscar, my resident old man of 12 pretty much refuses to go outside without me standing watch. I try to go in and take them out every few hours ........

"Come on, Oscar, lets go pee-pee." I try to entice him to the back door with promises of treats and toys and my presence. The other two will line up dutifully and follow me to the back door. Wall-E will sometimes balk at the heat and look up as if to say, "That's okay, Gramma, I can hold it til next trip." Oscar looks up from his throne (Emmy's old bed with both her pillow and his on top) and says, "No, I'm good. That puddle you just mopped up? Mine." And so, this is what I feed this plant. Water, bleach, Lysol ..... and dog pee.



My pictures are crooked, something has gone awry in the land of Kathy's blog. The morning glory feeds on the same diet as the sweet potato vine. Perhaps I have made a monumental gardening discovery! Who knew dog pee was good for plants? Just ornamental ones, not edible ones ..... I have standards!


What I was trying to get a shot of , was the branch that is looped over the tree. The main branch that this one shoots off of goes to the left. The winds are crazy strong and the weight of the peaches is holding this one over the tree.

I started picking today. I have two buckets so far. I have eaten 4 peaches while picking. I call it taste testing. They are really good and sweet this year. Just not very big. The wind chimes have kept the birds at bay. There are still a lot on the tree that are rock hard. I have to feel each one. If it has a little "give" when you squeeze it, it is ready. If not, you wait. How do I know this? Taste testing .....

Speaking of taste and food ....... He who is unable to administer his own meds and has just a general idea of what he takes had an appointment today for his 6 month check-up and RX refills. The man had a heart attack 12 years ago. He takes three different things for his cholesterol. So, I always make his appointments for mornings ....... so that he is fasting upon arrival and they can draw blood. Besides that he never eats breakfast. Okay, maybe on occasion, but it is rare that he will eat upon awakening.

I woke him at 10, his appointment was for 11. I did not say NOT to eat, because he should already know that they will need blood. I went back out to my garden and peach tree. I was happily on task and saw him drive his truck towards me to tell me he was leaving (I have mentioned before that he never walks anywhere that he could drive to, no matter how short the distance). I look up from my bean picking to say goodbye and see that he is CHEWING FOOD.

Admittedly, I was not diplomatic when I screeched "You are eating, you know they will need blood, WHY ARE YOU EATING!". Actually I was only exasperated at that point. I did not get MAD until he looked all innocent and informed me that "they never draw blood". "OH SWEET LORD! Of course they do! How else to measure the efficiency of the drugs you take, What is wrong with you?"

We have been going to this clinic for over two years now. They always draw blood when you go in and are out of prescriptions. True, the last time he went was for a pulled muscle in his back and there was no needle involved. And this was only because I MADE him go after he went to a chiropractor and the "adjustment" made his back hurt worse than before. I had already diagnosed the problem as a pulled muscle and told the man the only cure was heat and ice and rest. And, guess what? I was right.

I must go take my blood pressure meds now, and my serotonin uptake before he who drives hither and thither comes home. I gave him strict instructions to bring the written prescriptions to me and not get them filled like he did last time and screw up my money saving efforts! Last time, when they drew his blood!

7 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

If your place is like mine, they will give him a script for the blood work and he will spend ANOTHER morning getting it drawn. Around here, first thing in the morning means waiting 45 minutes because EVERYONE is getting their blood work done first thing in the morning....

lotta joy said...

I have diabetes and my blood sugar highs are monumental and my lows have found me on the floor. So I go early to get my blood drawn: like everyone else in the world. And I sit for about 1 1/2 hours waiting my turn.

Irritating as hell, but NOT as irritating as that man of yours.

Brian Miller said...

oh man...i would be eating plenty while i worked...

and hey whatever works on feed the plants mop water and pee...lol...

Hillbilly Mom said...

I'll bet your He Who would LOOOOOVE to go on a platonic date with my Diabetic H. They will be feasting on Casey's frosted donuts, Easter basket candy, and all-you-can-eat deep-fried catfish, shrimp, and chicken, with sides of fat french fries, sweet baked beans, and hush puppies with honey butter. Don't forget the extra tarter sauce. The cole slaw will be shunned, because it is "too filling."

Chickadee said...

You should bottle that mop water and dog pee as plant food. You might sell lots! And I like the windchimes...I've got squirrels yanking my tomatoes off their vines. But knowing the squirrels, they would either chew the string the chimes are on, or just yank the chimes too

Teresa said...

LOL - men! Ron does the same type of thing. So exasperating!

i'm due for blood work next week but i'm going to have to re-scheduled because my schedule is so hectic and i can't get away then.

the peaches sound yummy.

Marla said...

Those peaches are beautiful!!!