Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer's Goodbye

I lie awake in the wee hours of the morning. I don't use an alarm clock. I have that uncanny ability to wake when I have told myself I have to. That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes over sleep and miss my predetermined internal wake-up call. It is the weekend and that means a 5 o'clock alarm is in my head. Time to make the donuts ........... or sticky buns of gooey goodness in my case.



My four-legged creatures seem to know the weekend schedule. They will sleep through the night like good babies all week long; but, come Friday, they know. I am in the store longer on Friday evening. I don't go to bed any earlier than I do any other night of the week, so they go out and take care of business at the normal time. Then around 2 am they will nudge me awake to go out again. I sleep pretty good until that time. After I take them out and lift them back into bed I am awake enough to begin to calculate the amount of sleep I will get if I fall back to sleep immediately or if it takes 10 minutes, or 30 minutes, etc. Well, you see the problem.



I noticed that it was dark when I locked up last night at 9 o'clock and I felt a mixture of sadness and relief. Summer has begun to fade into autumn. Soon there will be a nip in the air and the leaves will turn and another year will be ending. I can usually determine the hour in the morning by extending my foot to the window and pushing the curtain to one side to get a peek of the sky. This morning it was dark. No predawn light to beckon me out of my non-slumber. I really wanted to tuck my cover over my shoulder and fall into a deep sleep, but was afraid I would not wake up in time to let the dough rise properly so I stumbled around in the dark and made my way to the kitchen at 4:30. An hour later and it is just beginning to show a little light. Just last weekend this amount of light was my wake-up call. The air is crisp and cool, showing no sign of the sweltering days we have had lately................




Now that I can see, I will go clean the bathrooms and then see what is ripe in the garden before I am confined to the store for my 12 hour day. Summer is not over after all. Not yet.

6 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I have the same knack for waking when I am supposed. And this morning I was supposed to wake up at 7:00 am for a mini vacay with the family - but I was woken at 3 instead. :(

Hope you have a great weekend. :)

Brian Miller said...

i so look forward to autumn and hte cool crisp mornings...i take it much better than the unbearable heat...so have you had a good season?

mamahasspoken said...

I'm with Brian, I prefer fall to summer mainly because of the heat. I hate heat....

ellen abbott said...

All you people out there starting to talk about the end of summer and the promise of fall in the air...stop it! It won't cool off here til October. We're just now hitting the peak of our summer heat. The hottest days are here and will continue for awhile.

houndstooth said...

I know what you mean! We were out for a hike yesterday and I came across a little red leaf on the ground. I thought, it's too early to think about the leaves changing colors, but I guess the trees didn't get the message!

Pat said...

I'm more of a fall girl myself! I HATE humidity! I don't mind the hot weather so much, put throw in humidity and I'm a bear! I bet it's a relief when Labor Day comes and things settle down to just pretty much the weekends.