Sunday, August 8, 2010

Just Dive On In


My Mexican daisy finally bloomed ........... well, the one plant that survived did anyway. Between the monsoon rains and the blistering heat nothing has grown with any predictability. I harvested two ears of corn while Gavin was here. It was my thought to break the ears in half and the four of us would share them with the rest of our dinner. Gavin ate them both. I can honestly say that brought me more pleasure than eating my share would have. Those were the only ones ready while he was here. The rest was ready and provided a pitiful little pot of creamed corn for the two of us. Some of the ears had only 5 or 6 kernels on them. It was really good and we savored each bite last night. My summer squash will only get to be about the size of my thumb, then will simply rot. Cucumbers are fine, though. Tomatoes, not so much.
It was a fine weekend, with perfect weather for camping. Cool in the evening and nice and sunny during the day. Today the humidity and the temperature began to rise and it is uncomfortably hot again. With the heat comes the really bizarre behaviour. The really bizarre phone calls and strange and stupid questions. Do ya'll got a pool? Yes. Do ya'll let people swim in it? Yes, we do. How deep is your pool? Not quite 6 feet at the deepest point..... Do ya'll got a diving board? No. (no, you idiot, it is not deep enough!!!!!!). That was the first call this morning. Just awhile ago someone called wondering how deep the pond is and if they can swim in it. Maybe it was the same person or someone closely related. There are snakes in the pond. Slimy weeds and mud and fish and why would anyone want to swim in a pond with a pool close at hand?

8 comments:

skippymom said...

You are a great grandma! :)

I remember shucking a bushel full of corn each weekend during the summers at my grandmas [we saw her every weekend all year long] and she always let me have as much as I wanted at dinner b/c I was the shucker. :) My record was 7 ears when I was 6 years old. heehee

Brian Miller said...

smiles. i am sure he loved the corn...smiles. i like swimming in ponds, but yikes on teh snakes...think i will stick with the pool. pretty flower...

ellen abbott said...

He was talking about the cement pond.

Lorenza said...

I am sure you don't know if laugh or get mad with those calls, right?
Have a great week and give kisses and hugs to Wall-E, please!
Take care
Lorenza

Teresa said...

we used to have corn, too. i can remember going in to pick the corn and being horrified with the spiders in there. ick, ick, ick!

houndstooth said...

Well, not a single stalk of our corn grew this year, thanks to the darned rain! If I don't get some decent tomatoes this year, I'm about done with the whole thing! Gavin must have had such a good time sharing yours with you!

I'd have told the idiot that swimming at the pond was strictly at your own risk!

mamahasspoken said...

My garden didn't do too well here either. Only one tomato plant survived. All the tomatoes on it ripen at the same time making me have to give some of them away ;o(

Pat said...

Next you'll receive a call asking if your refrigerator is running. If you say "Yes", then they'll say, "Well, you'd better go catch it!"