Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So Much To Do....... So Little Time

The weather has taken a wonderful turn and it is warm outside. Very windy, but warm. In the 70's warm. I want to mow, but the ground is still too boggy. I still feel crappy and itchy. I have pityriasis. I did a little research online and discovered that my rash is often accompanied by a general malaise and digestive distress. There is nothing to do other than what I am already doing. The article I read said that the symptoms could disappear in as little as a few days ....... or up to 8 weeks.


With all this in mind I decide to try to tackle one chore that I might be able to complete in a couple of days. Something that would give some instant gratification. Mowing is out and it is still too early to plant vegetables. There is still plenty to do inside, but I really want to be outside.

This is what the pool looks like. We have pumped the water out and this is the rain from last week. This will have to be pumped out again and all the dead leaves and other debris hauled out in a wheelbarrow. The real work will begin then with repairs and then paint.
I suppose I could start, but this won't be finished in one or even two days. Since I have already raked and cleaned the area around the fence and am planning to paint the fence this year........ and I find painting to be a somewhat soothing, if monotonous activity, I decide that I will tackle this project.
The fence is chain link and is probably as old as the pool. It is still a sturdy enclosure, though rusty in a lot of areas. I decide to paint it with Rustoleum. I tried spraying and not only will the wind whip most of my efforts away, my finger got tired. I know I can get a better trigger, but......
A friend told me that she painted a chain link fence and used a roller. She said the coverage was better with less waste. She went into great detail and demonstrated with motions. Made sense. So, out to the fence I go. Rollers and a pan, along with the THIRTY dollar gallon of paint. It is a long fence. I am looking to finish at least one side today. I open the paint and gently pour some into the pan. Gently, so as not to waste a drop. The wind kicks up a ferocious gust and literally blows the paint that is pouring out of the can away! This should have been my first omen.
Not to be easily discouraged, I proceed. Nothing can be done about the paint on the cement surround. If I try to clean it up, I will only make a bigger mess. In the back of my mind I am wondering if we can stain the cement and somehow make the black drops blend in. I carefully put some cardboard under the gate and get all ready to paint. I see some wire ties that had held a sign and carefully remove them as I imagine just how nice the fence will look when I am done. I load the roller and start rolling. Hmmmmm, not going on as easily as Sharon said it would. I am trying to remember and I am sure she said foam rollers. I am almost sure. I have paint on me, on the cardboard and even some on the fence, but really, the coverage isn't all that great.

This is what the roller looked like before I even "finished" the gate.


Perhaps I was wrong, maybe she didn't say sponge for the roller ............

As you can see, the gate don't look so great. The wind is crazy wild and I have paint in my mouth.

The roller left these little pieces on the painted surface. This is not the look I was going for. So, I give up and succumb to my general malaise. I think I will try to put some dry wall up in the kitchen now. If this doesn't turn out better, I think I will just go to bed.





13 comments:

Rae said...

You are so ambitious but I suppose there is little time for you to sit around now. My hubby does the pool prep each year and it is a lot of work. More than most people realize. It is well worth the effort though when it is 90 degrees outside.

SkippyMom said...

So sorry for the wind - I can't imagine a regular roller wouldn't work, but I wouldn't attempt to paint the round posts with a roller - I think a brush would work better? [okay, okay - you can stop throwing things at me now :D]

I actually love to drywall - hanging, patching etc. and I am the only one in the house that knows how. Thank goodness I did with the boys growing up :D

mamahasspoken said...

Never heard of painting a chain link fence with a roller before. Brush, yes, roller no. As for the foam roller sleave, it looks like it just didn't like the type paint you were using ;o)

Cathy said...

I'd just - well I don't know what I'd just - maybe a sign out the front asking for someone to take pity on you and give you a hand...........where's that lovely one who plumbs when you need him lol
What did the person at the paint shop recommend?

Brian Miller said...

have never heard the roller trick...kinda glad i did not...smiles. i will work int eh ppol though...supposed to be in the 80s the rest of the week here.

houndstooth said...

Sometimes you keep getting stronger and stronger signs to quit going until you finally get it!

Anonymous said...

It looks like there is so much to do... I'm feeling tired on your behalf.! Good for you though for getting stuck in with it all.

ellen abbott said...

Um, I'm guessing she didn't say foam.

Whitney Lee said...

I feel really guilty about laughing.

It sounds like one of those days. One where you really just want to go to bed and try again another day...

Kelly L said...

I hate hate hate to paint! You are a brave lady...

Love to you
Kelly

Boozy Tooth said...

I thought the gate looked pretty good, until you flashed the closeup. Still it was a lot of work and you did good.

The pool looks like a huge task. I don't envy you that work, but I know you'll get it looking fresh and sparkling in no time.

You know, in Florida we can't keep our pools drained for very long. Because of the sandy soil, it will pop the shells right out of the ground! Just a little trivia for you.

Enjoy your spring, Kathy. Your grass is actually greener than ours in Florida. It's been the worst winter ever.

Mike said...

This post made me think of the Karate Kid when Mr. Miagai made Daniel paint the fence while he went fishing! haha!

Teresa said...

I don't care much for painting, either. But, I do know how to hang drywall, mud, and tape. Don't like to sand. LOL!

I had to laugh at the visual of the paint flying away. Loved the roller!

You have a lot of stuff to get done and not much time to do it. Hope you have a nice weekend and a little bit of time to relax!