Thursday, August 30, 2018

Labor Day

Labor Day camping is upon us. They will start arriving today. I am sitting here enjoying the quiet. Some campers plan to stay until next Wednesday.

I may have mentioned a time or two that I am not a fan of holiday weekends. My regular campers I am always happy to see. It is the new ones that frighten me. You can't see what you are getting when you take a reservation. You don't know what is coming into your park until they enter the office to check in.

Case in point: a nice older couple stayed here for two weeks. They assured me that they had "plenty of money" to pay the bill. They left without paying. A friend of theirs called to offer his credit card info to make sure they could stay. But, he wanted to save me the transaction fee and assured me the day they left that he would put a check in the mail that very day. That was Sunday. Today is Thursday and guess what I did not get in the mail.

I called him to let him know I would be charging his credit card and he begged me to wait an extra day because it is the fault of the post office. There was a shooting incident in his town and he is sure that is why the mail is slow. Unique excuse!

Back to the weekend and all the preparations. I am ready, having made my third (I hope last) reservation chart. Some people are coming tonight, most people will be arriving tomorrow and some will be here Saturday. Some will be leaving on Sunday and most will be leaving on Monday. A few will be here until Wednesday. Problems always arrive with those double sites. I have to make sure that the campers leaving on Sunday are not blocked in with a camper in front of them. I am pretty sure I have it just right, but just one camper deciding to take a site not assigned to them throws a monkey wrench into my life! And there is always at least one.

Such is life. It is quiet now and I will sit here and enjoy it!

5 comments:

RunNRose said...

I like your "take charge"attitude! Sounds really complicated trying to be sure there are no conflicts with people leaving at different times.
Too bad you were taken advantage of by the older couple, I do hope a check shows up. This weekend will probably signal a slowdown in work for you? You have earned a break.

Val said...

I really hope that IS just a mail problem. It has been taking TWO WEEKS for mail to get from here to Norman, Oklahoma. Consistently. Yet it gets to Kansas City in two days!

Happy Holiday! Just think about how great it will be when it's over.

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh boy, are you going to be busy! It seems MY checks which are mailed when everybody else's are, arrive a week late or not at all. But a shooting in town, maybe at the PO, is unique excuse. Hope all goes well in camp land.

Joanne Noragon said...

You sound like my friend with the kennel. 39 runs to plan, revamp when they arrive early or late, so forth and so on. I don't bother her on any holiday.

ellen abbott said...

can't you do like hotels and motels? when they check in take a credit card number but no charges til they leave. I can't imagine there are people who don't have at least one credit card as easy as they are to get now.