Sunday, September 3, 2017

Unleash Me


Last week, as I was tending my vegetable garden in the late afternoon sunshine, I looked over into the side yard to see Martha, the boy cat enjoying a lazy afternoon in the dappled sunlight that filtered through the limbs of the peach tree.


Martha has come a long way from that tiny scrap of fur that fell from the bucket of the front end loader. I like cats, but everybody knows I am partial to dogs. Cats can be very aloof. After all, a cat doesn't really need you like a dog does. Cats can hunt and find their own food and water. Not to mention the fact that they will dig a hole and cover up their own waste.


Martha is special, though. He participates in the canine doings and he is very affectionate. He knows I am his person. I am the one who fed him with a bottle and took care of his bathroom needs. Really, once an animal poops in your hand, that animal is yours for life.


Martha was very much aware that he was under the scrutiny of my camera, he just pretends not to notice that I am there.

For a long time Martha would lay flat on the ground when he heard a loud engine. I suppose he remembered being scooped up and dropped. He steers clear of the vehicles, having a good, healthy fear of them. He roams the park at will, but always comes home. I tend to be happier on the days he forgets to bring home "gifts".

I am a little worried about Martha traveling with us. He will be okay inside, but he does enjoy wandering around ...... I am pretty certain he will not be okay with a leash.

4 comments:

Val said...

Martha will need a little harness for his leash. I don't think a collar could hold him! He's quite a healthy specimen. He may not like a leash, but the though of him getting away, getting lost, being scared by vehicles, or getting hit by one, makes me very sad indeed.

Kathy G said...

In my experience, unless you teach a cat very early to use a leash they won't take to it at all. Better, as Val said, to try a harness. Although I had no luck with it, either.

Linda O'Connell said...

Are you sure Martha is a cat? He's the size of Eddie. MTBC will adjust. How about a large dog crate so he can at least BE outside, if not run, romp and rip off bird's and rabbit's heads?

We have considered selling all and taking off, but we'll probably rot in St. Louis. happy trails to you.

Debby said...

Martha is beautiful. Love cats.