Friday, July 28, 2017

Genetically Modified and Volunteer Seed

So, are you wondering who it was that I did not want to interact with yesterday? My lips are sealed!

The weather has been wonderful today. I mowed all morning and pulled weeds out of the damp ground. I filled my wagon several times before deciding to come inside. No swimmers so far today. Very quiet and I am content with that.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time in my vegetable garden. Weeding and pulling up spent bean bushes and such. Since the corn has already been harvested, I decided to pull the stalks. The rain had loosened the ground and they were coming out easily enough.

The crop was not good this year. I wondered about that as I went about the business of cleaning my garden beds. Could it be the seed or the soil? I have had good results in the past, but I added a lot of topsoil last season. Maybe it was lacking in some way. Maybe it was the seed. I ordered some seed last year. This year I bought it at a farm store. You know, in a clear bag with no instructions or anything on a label.


Maybe it was the seed!! Just look at what I found on one stalk.


Just look at those kernels. Gee, do you think that seed was genetically modified?


I confess that I did not give this a taste. I won't be buying any more seed at the farm store!

In other garden news ..... I have a rather majestic vine or two coming up and out of the compost bin. I have been patiently waiting to see what might be growing. I figured it had to be either a squash or something from the melon family. I discovered a lone pumpkin hanging from the vine on one side and a butternut squash on the other side of the bin. Volunteers, both. A watermelon vine flourishes right outside the front door of the store ..... another volunteer.

5 comments:

Val said...

YIKES! That's a horror story in the making! Could it be corn smut? I only know it from watching food shows like Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern. Or that Anthony Bourdain show, No Reservations. One of them was in a market in Mexico, I think, talking about huitlacoche.

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh my goodness that is some freaky corn. Glad you had a relaxing day.

Joanne Noragon said...

Corn depletes the soil so thoroughly of nitrogen you cannot grow corn in the same soil two years in a row. You now have the sum total of my gardening knowledge.
If you need a laugh, I told my brother in law, year after year, he needed to remediate the soil. He considered me beneath his farming intellect--he was a man who could plant and grow a garden, by damn. I'd mention it to my sister from time to time, but there was no getting round his stubbornness. The last spring we were there she finally took a couple of quart jars of dirt to the local agricultural extension (less than a mile down the road) and had the soil tested. It was, in thirty years of planting, depleted of every nutrient known to God and Man, and they bought several hundreds of dollars of this and that and tilled in all the bags. But, in June I put the house up for sale. With no regret.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you should celebrate your birthday more often. Hewho is a winner.


ผลบอล

ellen abbott said...

I've never had any luck with melons. or squash since the vine borers always get those.