Monday, November 12, 2012

Contentment

 
 
 
 The weather forecast was correct this past weekend. A cold front was coming through with some rain. When I arose from the warmth of my bed Sunday morning, my joints confirmed this.

I left he who tows snugged in bed. He was out on a call the night before. Cold front will mean a fire in the stove, and rain will mean wet firewood. I skipped the shower and washed my face and brushed my teeth, threw on some clothes and grabbed my trusty wheel barrow. I hauled wood and stacked wood. I placed it under the shelter near the back door and covered it with a tarp.


While I was emptying the trash into the dumpster, I discovered a lone pumpkin that had grown in my garden. It was totally hidden by the tiger lilies when they were standing upright! And a lovely pumpkin it is!


Even though the gourd vine bloomed late in the season, one managed to mature before the frost knocked down the cone flowers and revealed the hiding place.


Those cone flowers are still trying to bloom!


My clematis vine was fooled by the recent warm spell. It did feel like spring last week.


The Four O'clocks are thriving!


They even have buds waiting to bloom.

So, here I sit. A fire burns in the stove, a cup of coffee sits nearby. My hair glows with product that promises to make all other hair "gel-ous". A freshly bathed fat dachshund is nestled against my leg, a fat boy cat named Martha is keeping my shoulders warm. Contentment.

6 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

You sound warm and cozy. Those clematis are some crazy flowers, aren't they.

mamahasspoken said...

AH the things that make one happy. That's until February/March when you are tired of the cold....

Val said...

Wow! A surprise pumpkin!

Linda O'Connell said...

It is the simple things in life that makes us sigh. My flowers are all in full bloom too.

Sioux Roslawski said...

A dog. A cat. A surprise gourd (which when dried, some people occasionally compare to a husband's head when it comes to empty spaces).

That IS true contentment...

Pat said...

A morning full of surprises - a gourd, and a pumpkin! I like your cozy morning - a fire and animals to keep you warm! Oh yes, and a cup of coffee - although I would prefer a cup of tea! ;)