Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Designated Driver?

Sitting here watching the morning news and sipping coffee, I hear a story about the father who used his nine year old daughter as his designated driver .......

Okay, I was not sitting peacefully, holding my warm cup in both hands and listening intently. I had four dogs on the couch with me and one at my feet whining to join the rest. The resident puppy was chewing on my fingers as I was trying to swaddle him for a nap. One was on the arm of the couch staring daggers at said puppy, while one is wedged so close I feel the need to scoot over. The older puppy is walking back and forth on the back of the couch and dancing on my shoulders.

The puppy is asleep now. He likes to be swaddled like a newborn, then held close and patted on his tiny bottom. Goes right to sleep. The three older dogs have settled down and Toni, the big puppy is playing with a toy. So, I back up the news to listen again as I sip the lukewarm coffee.

The story does not say that the man is drinking, but shows him telling the store clerk that his nine year old is driving and he is obviously impaired. It occurred at 3:00 am. The vehicle was pulled over to find the nine year old driving while sitting in a booster seat. Sounds like she needs a designated parent.

Wonder where her mother is? Wonder what happened after they pulled the vehicle over ....... did they put the child in foster care? Is the father in custody? Will a judge be impressed that he was not driving drunk and that he had the good sense to employ the use of a booster seat so that the child could see as she drove? Will he take into consideration that it was 3:00 am and traffic was light?

My coffee is cold now and it is time to get my day going as I wonder all these things.

8 comments:

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

Okay, inquiring minds want to know.....who is the puppy who likes to be swaddled??

SkippyMom said...

i saw the same story. He has had his daughter do that for him on numerous occasions. He is in jail on charges of child endangerment and she was placed in custody. No word on the Mom.

Thank goodness that the clerk was so alert and thought to alert the police to this idiot. I would've grabbed the kid before she drove off, personally.

And you are swaddling the puppy? Wow. He's got it good. Make sure you teach his new Papa how to do it. heehee

Brian Miller said...

saw that last night.... crazy....crazy..and was it worth it...now the kid is in care of the state and ugh....frustrating...

ellen abbott said...

on a booster seat, how the hell did her feet reach the pedals?

labbie1 said...

I saw that on the news last night and he flat out told the store clerk that she was 9 and was his designated driver because he was drunk and shouldn't drive as he was buying a candy apple for his daughter and more alcohol for himself. laugh laugh giggle giggle (him--not me)

He and the girl's mother are divorced and it was his visitation night. The girl was taken back to the custody of her mother.

I wonder how long it will be before he gets visitation again!!!!! Hope it is a LONG LONG times. What a screwhead!

Teresa said...

wow! i saw the headline but had not read the article yet. amazing... people are so stupid. just because they "can" have children doesn't mean they should. for sure in this case!

love the visual of the puppy being swaddled.

Pat said...

Just because someone can make a baby doesn't mean that they are a PARENT. HOW STUPID CAN THEY BE??

I could use a few of those puppies right now to keep me warm! It is cold, windy and rainy here today and I can't seem to keep warm in the trailer!

Meggie said...

We read that story here, with disbelief at the stupidity, and selfishness, of some parents. We have our share here in Oz so it seems to be Universal.
I hope the child gets a better example to grow up with.