Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tea Parties and Dance Class

I have been home for a week. Wish I could say I have been productive, but my mystery illness has kept me down. I won't go into details, but none of the home remedies have managed to make me feel much better. My friend, Yvonne checks in on me daily and is constantly calling with new ideas and suggestions. I am now referring to her as "House". She would be a relentless diagnostician if she had gone to medical school. I have to admit that she scares me just a little ...

Last week was filled with all the things that little girls do. My daughter-in-law is a little girl at heart, I think. She was brave enough to invite five girls to join her three for a tea party after school on the Thursday afternoon that I was there. They are big fans of Alice In Wonderland.

So, down the rabbit hole we go ..........

I made a pound cake in a sheet and cut it into hearts and cats. Didn't plan it that way, it was one of those things, you know, necessity being the mother of invention. We happened to have those particular cookie cutters and no bundt pan. Worked out okay, except for me not taking a photo of my creation all dusted in powdered sugar. Hey, we were outnumbered eight to two! Our "tea" was orange juice. I happily reheated the morning's coffee for a boost of energy ..........


That day started early with dance class for Zara. Big sister, Jada, goes with her ......... otherwise, she won't go. I stood in the door snapping away, listening to all the young well-groomed moms chat. Me with my hair on end, gray roots showing, no make-up, trying to be invisible. Big, big sister Kenzie drove us and then treated her Gramma to a coffee and scone before bringing us home. I never would have found my way there with the fog that had rolled in overnight.
I am missing all my girls this afternoon. I enjoy my solitude, but I could do with a tight hug from baby Zara and the soft, shy whisper of Maya as she tries to tell me secrets while Jada shows me a new dance step.




11 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I hope you discover what it is and feel better soon. That is so frustrating for you I am sure.

I love the tea party idea. We have a couple tea sets [adult size] and me and the girls still like to have a cuppa' and a biscuit. :) Some things never change.

Your granddaughters have such lovely names.

ellen abbott said...

I'm so lucky to have mine so close. My 14 yr old g'son spent the weekend with us. Unplanned event, we were in town on Friday and he asked if he could come spend the weekend with us and I told him yes if his mother would come pick him up. So he got to come. Actually though I am driving him back in just a bit cause I have to be in town on Monday anyway.

mamahasspoken said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Love the new hair do. I would have loved to see pictures of you walking to bus stop with that one!

joanne said...

so sweet...you are a fun grandma! I can't wait to have tea parties with my grand girl. You inspire me~

hope you get to feeling better soon, I'm glad you've got Yvonne on your team, she's a wonder and will have you fixed up I'm sure! take care..;j

Whitney Lee said...

I'm sure they miss you, too. I always hate it when my parents go. I wish they were closer and could share in the joy more often.

A few years ago I went to some friends house for an Alice in Wonderland celebration. It was Easter or something and this is an annual deal for them. I bought my daughter an Alice costume and my sister and I went as Tweedle Dee and Dum. It was a big to do and included the tea party and croquet on the lawn. Much fun.

I hope you feel better soon. I am now wondering what sort of mystery illness you have that you don't want to share. Curiosity, you know...

Brian Miller said...

too cute...the little dancers...my wife being a dancer, i always love seeing the little ones...sounds like a fun trip down the rabbit hole as well...sorry you were ill though and hope you are feeling better...

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick and I hope you feel better soon.

These are the cutest photos.

Cathy said...

Isn't it always the way - you try to be invisible and all the others are trying to be outstanding and outdo each other. Just remember good looks and attitude shine through no matter what.
Love the photos - tea parties and dancing lessons are what make the ladies of tomorrow. Well thats what my Mum used to say lol
Take care
Cathy

luksky said...

My daughter is 10 and still loves to play tea party. Hope the mystery of your illnesses gets unlocked soon.

labbie1 said...

Make a Doctor's appointment already!!!!

Marla said...

Aren't girls awesome? Especially granddaughters. We get to be little girls again through them.