Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wandering Thoughts

I had a bountiful harvest of gourds this year. I find it a little ironic, given the fact that I did not plant any seed. All my plants were volunteers from years past.
They came up in several places, along with some volunteer pumpkin vines. Only one pumpkin out of all the plants survived, though. When the vines came up it was hard to tell which were gourds and which were pumpkins. The leaves are different, for sure, but the vines are different, too. The pumpkin vines are thornier. The little thorns will grab you and hide in your skin, invisible, but painful.

These are a few ...........


and here are some more atop my rain barrel ..........

and even more. Can you pick out the real pumpkin?


I sent he who has learned not to question me on a mission. Yvonne's dad, Clair, offered these old feeding troughs to me. I never turn down freebies with potential. These are 24" deep and will become part of my vegetable garden. I will not be bending to weed or pick!! There are four of them and two are pink. I will be painting them. I thought about black .......... But now I am thinking that is boring. I won't paint them until spring, so I have time to come up with something fun and creative. I am open to suggestion .........


Here are some people I love. My beautiful daughter, Adrienne, and her son, Gavin. They were at her friend's engagement party. I will be winging my way to Minnesota to care for the child and dog while the wedding takes place in Mexico this coming spring.


No doubt, I will feel just like Gavin did at the end of the evening when I come home!!
The season is officially over and I have been battling what I hope is some kind of stomach virus. I hope it is a passing thing and that I recover soon. The pain isn't overwhelming, just enough to make you feel crappy. I am not used to inactivity and sitting around is getting old. I want to be outside gathering seed and cleaning garden beds. I have decided to get out there no matter how I feel today ........... fresh air and all that.





8 comments:

SkippyMom said...

My pick for colors are green [think frogs!] or yellow [how much happier can you get!].

Gavin is so adorable with his lovely Momma. The chair pic' is so familiar and why do only kids get away with that when we all want to do it too. lol

Hope you feel better soon and it is just a bitty bug.

Take care and have a great one Kathy!

Sunny said...

I LOVE guords, I can't believe your bounty of them!
My choice would be black, I guess I'm boring LOL!
What a handsome kiddo Gavin is, pretty Mom too :)
Hope you feel better.
☼ Sunny

Brian Miller said...

haha. actually i bet he is comfortable...cool feeding troughs i think they will be great for a garden...oh i think you can get creative on teh colors as well...you could even do scenes...or frogs...smiles. and nice gourds..you got some nice plump ones...

ellen abbott said...

Oh man, I love those feeding troughs! I'm doing pole beans next spring. No bending over to harvest!

Naqvee said...

wow. u really have green hand i mussay.. thats great.. take care. and paint them the troughs violet, lilac and pink.

Naqvee

mamahasspoken said...

Keep in mind, if you paint them black, it will attract more heat which might burn the plants by making the dirt too hot.
Love the gourds! And to think you didn't have to plant a seed!

Pat said...

I can't believe you got that many gourds this year! How funny is that!

Your daughter is so pretty and Gavin is such a cutie!

Hope you feel better soon!

Meggie said...

I love seeing your gourds- which sounds vaguely inappropriate??lol.
I remember last year's crop.
Love those freebie garden beds! Those cost upwards of $300 here!
Black, while boring, does draw the heat, so if you need heat....