Tuesday, May 4, 2010

At What Cost........


I am tired. It is Spring. Spring and tired go together. I just finished raking and mowing the first 6 sites. I do this every spring. I rake up all the layers of fallen leaves and pick up all the fallen limbs and bits of debris. I stack little bundles of twigs near each fire pit for the next camper to use as kindling. Then I mow the grass, rake it, and mow it again. I only do this once a year unless we have a big storm blow through, then I will pick up debris then and stack it neatly.......... It saves the mower blade. But it is tedious and at the end of the day your very bones ache.


He who plows is busy on the tractor spreading rock and leveling the sites. We have well over 50 sites, so I am behind before I even begin. With that thought in mind I made Mower Extraordinaire take a few minutes to ride through the park with me this morning. We spend so little time together this time of year and I thought a little ride in the golf cart might be fun. We took along the dogs and I had my notepad and pen in hand. The dogs were thrilled to be going along. Oscar took his place in my lap while little Emmy sat proudly between us. Wall-E wasn't so sure he even wanted to go, but he got into the driver's lap and shook nervously as we zipped along. Family time. I was in such a happy state of mind ...... key word being 'was'.




I made a few little notes about some minor repairs that needed attention. Then we both saw it. We have frost free hydrants on some of our sites so that we can offer full hook-ups year round. These are not cheap. They are costly to repair. The parts are not easy to find. These hydrants stand near the power box and are very visible, standing at least 3-4 feet tall. So, how do you manage to hit it and break it? Perhaps you don't know how to drive? Beyond that, why would you not come and at least let me know that you hit it? You would certainly know that you did, because you hooked up to it. Not only that, I am sure that you sustained some damage to your rig. It is only a slow leak and you are gone. I wouldn't have made you pay for the damage, but it would have been nice to know so that I could order the part yesterday and get it a day earlier.



So, as I am raking and mowing, I am bothered. I once had a man come in who wanted every discount club card he had to be applied to his stay. After he laid them all out on the counter and figured them up, he told me I owed him 10% of the cost of an overnight stay. I laughed, thinking he was joking. He wasn't. He insisted that all the parks he stayed in honored his little system (scheme?) and then said to me, "Why do you care, it costs you nothing for me to park here?" I was taken totally by surprise and didn't have a ready answer. I simply asked him who he thought paid the bills that came to the park. He conceded that it probably cost a couple of dollars in electricity.



The cost is so much more than that. I am irritated beyond belief by that attitude today. I don't like the way I feel right now. I have more work to do and I like to take pride in my park. So, now that I have unloaded here, I am going back out to tackle the next set of sites that need my attention. While working on those I will turn my thoughts to more positive things. Some of my most favorite campers were out last week. They tackled the bath house and cleaned and painted it! I love Patrick and Julie!! In addition to that they got their site all spiffed up with plants and mulch. Our newest seasonal campers Marcy and Rusty have their site all spiffed up, too.



These are the folks I will think about while I toil the afternoon away. I hear a good grounds keeper gets paid about $20 an hour............



16 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel you on that person asking for 10% of the cost of his stay..Are you friggin kidding me? I would have turned a guest away for stupidity like that.

Vent on babes...vent on.

I love you and through your blog I appreciate all that you do and the love and respect you have for your property.

squawmama said...

Wow how rude some people are... both of them! I would have asked to one guy to hit the road and find someone who would honor all of his cards.. REALLY who does he think he is? You know there is always a few that ruin it for all of us GREAT RVers... Sorry you had such a BAD day. Just remember there are a ton of good campers out there... Have a fantastic day and keep having fun!
Donna

mamahasspoken said...

I would have asked him to name a campground that did such a thing then call them with him standing there just to catch him in his lie. I know, it's the teacher in me.....

Brian Miller said...

the guy is a nut job...and i dont usually say stuff like that but that irks me...breathing deep. smiles.

ellen abbott said...

I think I would have laughed in his face. And then told him to scurry along to one of those many parks that agree to his system.

As for the person who damaged the frost free pipe, people have no sense of responsibility.

Karen said...

Nothing can give a person a bad attitude faster than *people*. And, thank goodness, nothing can make a person feel so much happiness and gratitude like *people*. :)) Thank goodness the good ones outnumber the other kind!

Teresa said...

amazing what some people think. i am always amazed at the audacity of some people. they should be made to work the park for a couple of days and see just what goes into the day to day operations.

you go ahead and vent -we're right with ya!

SkippyMom said...

Right after I smacked Mr. 10 percent I would've pointed out on every single discount piece of crap card the fine print that says "May not be used in conjunction with any other offer." Because I bet the majority of them DO say that. Jeesh.

I have to agree with Living on the Spit - I appreciate all you do and the love and respect you have for your property - I have told you several times how happy it makes me to come over and see how beautiful/fun/lovely you have made soemthing today and then took the time to take a pic' and share with us. Thank you.

And my girl? You are worth 10 landscapers @ $20 hr., If not more. Goodness knows there aren't many of us that can do what you do.

Love ya!

SkippyMom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy said...

I'm amazed at the audacity of some people. He wanted you to pay him to stay in YOUR park?

Boozy Tooth said...

Some people! Harrrumph!

You are justified in being a bit miffed about the tightwad camper and the hit and run camper. Jeez! That's the height of arrogance and inconsideration. I'm sure you get all kinds, Kathy.

In your business you must appreciate your customers come what may because in a downward economy, vacationers and RV'ers can choose to stay home. It still doesn't give them the right to make judgments and assumptions about your business and the cost to run it. The physical toll alone is staggering.

I am so impressed by your stamina and energy. Don't let the shitheads wear you down, hon.

And I always get a kick out of your husband's pet names: He Who Ploughs. He Who Mows. Mower Extraordinaire. So cute.

PS: I love when you rant about rude customers. I wish you didn't have them, but PLEASE continue to let off steam here so we can shake our heads in disgust right along with you.

Cheers, chica!

Pat said...

Jim will get a kick out that one! Maybe WE should try that! Yeah, right! I'll just spread my KOA, P.A., Good Sam card across the counter and say PAY US TO STAY HERE. Right! That is too funny! Okay, I've stopped laughing now. giggle. Sorry. That's some funny stuff right there. As if!

Whitney Lee said...

I'm glad you have such good campers to balance the idiots. I hope that today has gone a bit better.

RVThereYet said...

RVThereYet has just added a RV Blog Network to our directory. I am trying to create a bit of community amongst RVers who blog and all their collective readers. RVers can read your blog about a certain RVing subject and then read another blog on the subject. A lot of valuable information can be gleaned when we all get together. All your posts on the network link back to your blog and it's posts, so you should see an increase in traffic when the network really gets going.


If you would like to add your blog please visit http://www.rvthereyet.cc/blog/add-your-blog/ and follow the directions.


Kind regards,

Kenny Scott
RVThereYet

Meggie said...

Bastards Inc is alive & well, & it has many members!! I hope that skinflint gets his, somewhere along the line!
I think we are all on your side, hoping this mean "B" gets his!

Mike said...

I imagine that after the winter that we had that the work this year is probably worst than most. Pace yourself!