Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bulbs Arising And A Hog


I know that spring is here....... those hateful beetles that have given ladybugs a bad name are back! They come back to life after winter's freeze. They bite and annoy and if you squish them they smell bad.

So with this sure sign of the season the blackboard has changed appropriately to welcome visitors as they arrive to check in.

The pastry this weekend was cinnamon buns. Folks were more interested in the hot coffee, though.
Tulips and daffodils are trying to come to life, even in the shady areas of the park.

This garden above is Gavin's Garden. I planted bulbs last fall and I wish he was here to see them.


They are coming along nicely in this bed, too. Not many daffodils , mostly tulips.
It has been a wonderful weekend. Perfect weather. Sunny and warm with a gentle breeze. Crisp cool mornings and evenings just right for a campfire. All my campers seemed to have a good weekend.
Oh, and he who mows bought a hog. "Oh, before I forget, I bought a hog." he says to me casually. I pictured an animal upright and walking. Did he buy him to eat grass? I was afraid that was the case. He who mows is a real deep thinker. I have been asking for a mower with no power to use in the parts I mow and I am afraid that he may think an animal is a better solution......... I could just see a hog rooting in my flower beds eating my bulbs.
The hog was to butcher and fill the freezer with meat. As happy as I am to hear the news that I won't have a hog wondering around my yard; I am faced with a new dilemma. Freezer space. On a weekend, while I am busy in the store. I run back and forth as I empty the big chest freezer and realize that it needs to be defrosted. No time to do that, so I grab the tool used to tape drywall and scrape as much of the ice that I can and then scoop it out into a bucket. Sounds simple enough. But in order to reach the bottom of the freezer to get the ice out I have to lean as far in as I can standing on my tip toes. Almost fell in. Now that would have been funny ........... a long time afterwards.
When I replaced all the food that we had (and finding stuff I had forgotten I had) I saw that I had plenty of room for 200 lbs of hog. There was enough room for me, so I knew it would fit! I loaded it all myself, having a need to organize it just right. I am now paying the price with aching muscles. Just so you know, if I invite you for a meal.........expect to eat pork.




10 comments:

luksky said...

He can buy a goat for the lawn. :-)

Brian Miller said...

after mowing today...i just may get a goat...nice frog on the sign...but it was a beautfiul day today, spring smells filled the air and porks alright, just let me know when to show up...

houndstooth said...

I was just thinking "Wait til the goat shows up!" Too funny!

Enjoy the pork!

ellen abbott said...

that's a lot of pork. When I was a teenager, a couple of times my dad bought half a cow. Half a cow is a lot of meat too.

Whitney Lee said...

love the blackboard! What are ya'll going to do with 200 pounds of hog? Other th

Whitney Lee said...

Other than freeze it...

Sorry about that; my hands got distracted!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

You just had to mention that defrosting job, didn't you? Mine is in the worst need...guess this is a sign I should get right on it. Loved your comment about your mother on my post. Sometmes I wonder if ANYONE has a "normal" family. Mine sure ain't. C

mamahasspoken said...

Ha that's funny that most of us thought about the goat! Then you could milk the goat and take up a new hobby as to what to do with the goat milk. I was thinking something along the line of soap or lotions to sell in your store...

The Good Cook said...

I LOVE that your husband bought an entire pig. That's how I shop... You will be surprised at how quickly you go through it, did you get ham and bacon also?

I just bought a 1/4 beef cattle yesterday - grassfed, heritage stock. Must be the season.

You will notice your grocery bills go down and buying locally grown, slaughtered animals is really wonderful food!

Sorry for the rant... but I get excited about good food buys!

Love that spring is arriving everywhere!

Pat said...

The tulips look great. It doesn't seem that long ago when it was such a cold day and you were planting those bulbs!

So glad you didn't fall in that freezer! Who knows when you husband would have showed up!

That's alotta pork!