Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Here I sit in what I have come to refer to as my prison. I am just busy enough to not be able to escape for longer than a bathroom break. I am grateful that I got a shower before love of my life went off to his lowly little job as store clerk. We both mowed all morning and the heat was oppressive. I was dripping with sweat, but determined to get my part done. I did, and now I sit and wait for the storm I see brewing in the sky. A good storm with a moderate amount of rain will make me so happy. My garden needs a good drink and everyone will stay away.........

After my wonderful birthday surprise this weekend, I had another surprise that wasn't so good. One of my favorite families pulled out! They were so nice and well behaved and I am left with the riff-raff hooligans with their barking dogs, and loud rude behaviour. I miss them. I miss the southern wit and the polite children. I have a few polite children left, but these girls were my favorites. I was happy they were here and was looking forward to having some girls around that I would feel comfortable playing with my granddaughter. I still have a couple here, but as I said these girls were the best!

I posted awhile back about my old cat (Ode To Crazy Cat). I was trying to prepare myself for his eminent demise. Well, I haven't seen my old guy for almost a week. I think he went off like old cats will do. His predecessor, an old Siamese named Misty did the same thing. I suppose they were trying to spare me the grief. Didn't work so much. I hope that he went off and died the way he wanted. I wonder if maybe one of the current riff-raff here may have accidentally hit him in a rush to get to work in the morning. No, he went off and died like an old Indian, that is what I choose to believe. I would like to have given the old guy a proper burial or even had my old buddy cremated.......... Wishing won't make it so. He lived a good long cat life of almost 16 years.

I am still getting to know my new computer......... but I think I am in love. I will be posting a lot more pictures since it is so much faster to upload than this one. Of course I will have to take more pictures and I am hoping things will become more routine as this month fades away.

This is that time of year that we get tired. There is not an escape that allows us to simply take a whole day off and kick back and do nothing. I think that everybody needs that from time to time. The season starts with intense preparation in March. You only have a few campers, but the clean-up from winter storms is overwhelming. By the time the official camping season begins with Memorial Day we are already into the constant routine of mowing 2 or 3 times a week. Along with the little surprises you get on a daily basis.....broken pipes, sewer back-ups, and such. By the end of July you just want to be left alone for longer than 5 minutes.

Last night we had both decided that we were going to lock up right on time and ignore the phone. I had a lovely roast cooked to perfection along with carrots just right. I was going to make biscuits and add potatoes to my roast. We still had some of my birthday cake left and we were going to sit in front of the TV and play with our animals and just have the most wonderful evening we could imagine and go to bed early.

It was a great plan. I was outside checking the progress of my squash and tomatoes when my cell rang. "Come here as quick as you can!" says Drew. "Where?" says me. "Pumproom!" says him. This can't be good I think as I hurry back into the building. It wasn't. He was holding the water pipe closed with his hands standing there in a flood zone. I flipped the breaker to the pump, turning off the water to the whole park and grabbed a bucket. He was trying to change a filter and broke the pipe off at a position that made the water shoot straight up. I couldn't exactly put the bucket over the pipe and there was still a lot of pressure in the line. I suggested that he hold his hands over the water to divert it into the bucket. The pressure was greater than I thought and we both took it right in the face! Up my nose, actually.

Anyhow, with the water off I couldn't finish cooking. I couldn't wash my hands. I couldn't stop answering the phone. Every body called to tell me that something had happened to the water. What is it they say about the best laid plans? We finished up around 10:30 and simply collapsed. We ate the roast and the now overdone carrots along with some too cheesy macaroni. No bread, no dessert, no TV, no winding down. Such is the life of a campground owner......


13 comments:

Missy said...

Bummer! Your life is never dull!

Nancy said...

You need a good vacation.

Kathy G said...

You need to find someone you can hire to hold the fort for you for a day...or at least for an hour while you sit down to a good dinner!

Teresa said...

You daily activities wear me out. I'm so sorry you had such an end to your day. Total bummer.

luksky said...

What's the saying..."When it rains it pours." Maybe it will get better soon....

Hit 40 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! A dell for a gift!!! I want that friend. Excellent. Good Karma to you!!

You didn't say, but I think you got the water fixed. Great work!!! You can't own a campground without being handy. Nice!!

Sandi McBride said...

You work so hard, I hope that some nice polite Southern Folk show up to cheer you...and that the Old Crazy Cat is just off on a toot and will be home to regale you with stories of his arthritic fling...if not, Cat Heaven promises lots of catnip and fields to romp in...
hugs
Sandi

Mahmood Syed Faheem said...

Happy birth day! Your blog is very nice. The images are very beautiful. God is Great. Best wishes.

http://www.thedynamicnature.com

Anonymous said...

I hope that by now things have started to quieten down, you have been able to put your feet up and rest with your new whizz-wow computer.

Pat said...

I agree that you need to hire someone to work the desk - at least part time - to give you some off time. You can't continue at this crazy pace - it can't possibly be could for your health - both mentally and physically!

ellen abbott said...

Mowing 2 or 3 times a week? Now that's just wrong. The whole thing 2 or 3 times a week? Or perhaps you meant that it takes 2 or 3 days to get it all mowed.

Meggie said...

I remember how wearing & wearying it was, being on call 24 hours a day all year!
Happy Birthday. I know I am a little late, but glad you had such a nice surprise.

The Good Cook said...

I am so glad I found your blog - why? Because we, as a family camp. We never stay longer than a week in one place (usually a few days) before moving on, but your blog has shown me a whole other side to camping ... the camp ground owners.. AND I always wondered about those long term camp families I'd see living at sites..

Thank you for all the insights into another part of camping... it will certainly help me and mine to be better campers!