Monday, June 1, 2009

Not Just Another Day

Thirty-one years ago today............. I walked into the OB/GYN office and announced that I would not be leaving until they removed the child. Child # 5 she was. I had been in labor since early May and still the baby remained safely tucked inside.... growing. According to the technology of the day, she was two weeks premature and they tried to send me home. After a small fit, they agreed to admit me and do a "trial" induction.

After a whole day of labor pains that seemed to get us nowhere, they unhooked the magical Pitocin drip and sent me to a regular hospital room. Brought me a tray of food and the smell, the very smell made me push the tray away and call for someone to get me back to Labor and Delivery. At 10:02 she arrived, all 9 lbs 2 oz of her. She was, just as I had suspected, a three week old baby.

We named her Adrienne ReNee'. She has had many nicknames over the past 31 years, but to me she is still "the baby". She towers over her short Mom and is almost as tall as her Dad. I have told her many, many times throughout her life that had she been my first child..... she still would have been my last! To this day she leaves an impression where ever she goes. Tongue-tied at birth, she didn't have much to say until her tongue was freed at 18 months. She started talking, non-stop, and is still going strong. Being the last baby I would have, I tried my best to savor each and every moment of baby hood. Adrienne had different ideas in her head as she raced to grow up. She was and is extremely independent, always hard to keep up with, this child of mine.

At age 25 she struck out on her own and moved to Tampa. We took the bulk of her belongings to her after she had been there awhile. We only got to spend a few days with her, and as we left I sensed that maybe for the first time since she was an infant, she needed me. I started writing stories of each and every memory of her on the way home as love of my life drove. If he attempted a conversation, I would shush him, so intent was I on my new project. I wrote it all down long hand in a notebook. When we got home I began pulling out pictures and they prompted more memories and I kept writing what I began to refer to as the "Book of Adrienne". I had this project spread all over my house and decided that I would pair the stories with photos and present this to her at Christmas.

She moved back home before Christmas carrying a gift of her own for our family. He was born 6 months later, 8 days after her 26th birthday. He is the Gavin of Wall-E, the dog's blog, "Letters To Gavin". Although he looks nothing like his mom, he shares her stubborn determination and leaves his own impression where ever he goes. They will be here this weekend and I am so excited to be able to share a birthday celebration with them both.

9 comments:

Jilly said...

That was sweet, sweet, sweet :)

scarlethue said...

I'm glad they're getting to visit you this weekend! I know you'll enjoy it.

luksky said...

There is nothing more exciting than having a grown child come to visit....I know this now. Have fun with them!

Nancy said...

What a terrific tribute to your dear daughter. Have a wonderful visit and birthday celebration. I'm heading out to see mine by week end. Can't wait. Isn't it nice to see them, and be near them, when they are grown and gone?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Jilly-Don't forget to call your 'little' sister and wish her a happy birthday

Scarlet-I am looking forward to it

luksky-you are so right

LoL-You have fun with yours, too

Andrea said...

Isn't it so amazing how you can recall the day of your children's birth! And then they grow up to keep on amazing you. Have a wonderful time together!

Hereundertherainbow said...

I agree with LoL. This is a lovely tribute, the most original way to say "I love you." Your daughter is a lucky woman.

lovelyprism said...

Sometimes I wonder how we manage to remember all the little details of their births. But they just grow so fast! How could we forget?

Caution/Lisa said...

That completely choked me up, Kathy. Completely. Are there pix from the birthday party?