Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away........

The sky looks bruised, don't you think? It has rained and rained. The gutters have failed at every seam........ Makes me wonder about that hasty install done only to appease me. You will note that the rain barrel is in place with hole in top ready to receive the downspout........ I am thinking an end cap would be a big help, too.

Handy, dandy faucet all ready to receive the hose that will distribute the water to thirsty gardens far away..........
I love the look of the old barrel sitting among the rock and sedum. Last night the downpour stressed every seam as the rain shot straight down from the sky with a vengeance. The water shot out the end and dug out all the mulch and even made a "hole" in the ground. This area is so rocky that the first year I planted I used a pick-ax instead of a shovel to make my holes. I have added topsoil over the years, but every spring I lose some to storms.

We are expecting more showers this afternoon and then it is supposed to be sunny through the weekend. I am a little ambivilant about that.....the air conditioner has expired on me. It is only 57 degrees this morning so that no chocolate has been harmed. Said air unit is in pieces on the front porch......... such a welcoming look. If it is still there when love of my life escapes to work today I will load it in the wheelbarrow and dispose of it myself. I have found that I can move anything with wheels.
I had 7 cancellations from pipeliners yesterday. Put me in a foul mood. I started calling all those on my waiting list and put out the word that it will be first come, first served. I am not holding any more sites. They give a credit card to secure with, but a charge is easily disputed when you have no signature on file. I lost money last weekend due to a no show on two pipeliners and late or no notice on the rest. I do understand that the weather has been a huge factor in moving along to the next area as far as they are concerned; but common courtesy would dictate continued communication with someone holding sites for you......... Maybe I am naive. No, I am considerate.
I choose to be optimistic today. We will see how long that lasts........

5 comments:

scarlethue said...

It's been raining cats and dogs here too. I'm getting pretty tired of it! You do have a beautiful green lawn because of it though.

ellen abbott said...

Shoo that rain down my way. Although not Friday thru Sunday as we will have the grandkids at the country house with us.

The rain barrel looks fabulous. All we have right now is two large plastic garbage cans with no spouts. I have to carry the water around in a bucket. Well, better than nothing.

Missy said...

What's a pipeliner?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Scarlet--Yes the lawn is very green and if you watch closely you will see it growing..... more mowing

Ellen--You would think they could build a pipeline for water and send it where it is needed, wouldn't you?

Missy--A pipeliner is one who builds pipe lines. There are about 500 of them headed this way as they construct the gas pipe line coming down from Alaska. They have made reservations here and were supposed to be here in May..... not all of them, just 25. That's all I have room for.

Missy said...

Thanks for the answer-I had to be ignorant! I am watching my grass grow too. Cut it Monday and already needs it again!