Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Doppler Radar

The 'weather lab' has pushed my soap off the screen. With all the gadgetry available, why couldn't they just split the screen? Now I won't know what shenanigans Victor Neuman has planned with the mystery woman he has wooing Jack Abbott. Seriously, though, I am wondering why the weather map shows the cities and the meteorologist is referring to the counties. The colors are vibrant and lovely, but without knowing what the different colors are referring to and if you are unfamiliar with the counties that correspond to the city names on the map, she may as well be speaking a foreign language. Reminds me of an incident a couple of years ago. An older man (he may well have achieved my hoped for 110 years of age) pulled in with a 40 foot top of the line motor home. He came in to register with his wife (I think she was a mail order bride, much younger and of Asian descent). First thing he wanted to know was where the shower house was because they didn't want to "mess up" their bathroom. This always amazes me, we bought our motor home to avoid using public facilities. (But I could write a whole book about bathroom habits of RVers.) The mail order bride didn't have a command of our language and stood submissively by her man when she wasn't busy gathering a copy of every brochure on my display. He then asked about Internet coverage in the park because he wanted to consult a weather site. We have wi-fi with boosters thru-out the park. He called me several times to complain that he was unable to get on-line, then came up to the office, booster in hand to tell me that I had left my "radio" outside on the pole near his site. Gee, wonder why he couldn't get on line. It was raining and I was disinclined to go out and reinstall the booster...... To get back to the subject at hand, he probably tuned into the same station I am now watching and not being familiar with the counties heard about a tornado warning in Marshall county (we are in Montgomery county). After asking where the safest place in the park was in the event of a tornado, I told him the bathhouse was the most secure structure in the lowest part of the park. However he and his bride chose to don their overcoats and stand in the deep end of the empty pool. I do indeed lead an interesting life, don't you think?

5 comments:

scarlethue said...

They stood in the deep end of an empty pool???

Oh how I wish you had a picture of that. That is absolutely amazing and hysterical!

I hate those little maps too. Like I don't know there's bad weather outside-- duh, that's why I'm watching tv. Otherwise I'd be outside doing something. If I cared about the weather I'd put on the weather channel.

lovelyprism said...

I love how you saved the best for last... the deep end of an empty pool! LMAO.

Jeffy said...

That's hilarious!!! Okay, now I'm hooked and have to read your blog daily. You are a good writer mom :)

Nancy said...

Old man with mail-order bride? Yuck. Not surprised he wasn't very smart...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wish I had picture, too. Of course I was busy enough with the phone and other customers to lose the photo-op anyway....I should keep a camera on my desk this season.