Friday, December 10, 2021

Telling Tales

 Cujo here. I am so happy I have honed my eavesdropping skills over the years. I just heard the best news! We are about to go on another road trip!

Mom is calling it the maiden voyage because it will be the first trip in the new camper. I don't understand that phrase, but she has been busy loading it with all manner of stuff. She took a bunch of dishes and pots and pans out there, then she started loading food. She even loaded a big bag of our food. I wonder where this trip will take us. I will need to pay close attention when the humans try to talk to each other.

HeWho is our Dad and the driver of the RV says "huh" a lot and then Mom will raise her voice and repeat herself and then he will tell her she doesn't have to yell and then she will say, "Apparently, I do!" After that she will make him look at her when she is speaking. She told him he should develope lip reading skills or invest in a better hearing aid. I hear everything she says just fine and she says that Dad and I are age equivalent. 

I must confess that I am having trouble with my vision lately. Mom says I have cataracts on my eyes. I wish she would take them off! Some days I see better than others and I hope we move into the new house soon so that I can memorize where all the furniture is.

I heard Dad tell Mom that the broker will meet with us when we return from the trip. What is a broker? Well, whatever it is, it made Mom very happy. She was sick all week long. While it is usually great when she needs to stay in bed or sit with us on the sofa, this time wasn't much fun.

Everytime one of us dogs touched her she asked us to stop because it hurt. I do not like it when Mom is hurting. Neither does Eddie. Eddie and I were very careful and tried not to even put our heads in her lap. She said it must have been the shot! 

Toni's ears perked up and she yelled, "Someone shot our Mom!!" Then she raced around the room and into Dad's lap. She got right into his face and told him Mom had been shot. Dad does not speak dog and I can only guess that she thought he would hear her if she made him look at her like Mom did when she was talking to him. It didn't work. He got annoyed with Toni and hurt her feelings wen he pushed her off his lap. 

She tried to get in Mom's lap after that and Mom begged her not to get on her. She told Toni that her long skinny legs felt like they were digging a hole into her body. She gently moved Toni to the ottoman her feet were resting on and told her she could lay next to her legs. That seemed to work.

Mr. BoJangles was another story. Mom calls him the canine athlete. He does love to run and chase us. He can run really fast, even faster that Toni Louise with her long, skinny legs. When Mom calls us in he runs like the wind and when he reaches the back stoop, he goes airborne and flies over the stoop and threshold and lands on the floor beyond the door. His landings are magnificent, well that is what I heard Mom call them. She also said he would simply fly away if he had wings.

While this talent of his is fun to watch, it is not fun when he decides to jump from the arm of the sofa and into Mom's lap. She makes a big "ooof" sound when he does this. He did it while she was feeling so bad and she cried! If that wasn't enough, he decided to jump down and used his back legs to push off from Mom's shoulder. Mom was leaning back with her eyes closed when this happened and she screamed when he hit her arm on the spot that was shot! This did not bother Bo at all. I think he might have thought she was cheering for him and he took a bow!

All of us dogs tried to tell him that Mom did not feel good and to leave her alone. He said the she felt good to him. He might be a good athlete, but he is pretty dumb. Mom laughed when I said this and told me that is a stereo-type for all athletes. Now I just need to find out what the new word means.

I am signing out now, but I will be back soon to tell tales of the trip to come!

4 comments:

RunNRose said...

What fun it is to read your blog! Especially when it has good news. Sure hope the maiden voyage goes well. Not that I would expect there to be no calamities! Without those, there wouldn't be such good story material. Good luck.

River said...

Cujo; I am glad you are looking out for your mum. I hope you don't get too uncomfortable in the new RV which is smaller, just remember there is plenty of running around space at your new home.

Val said...

You tell good tales, Cujo. I feel like I am right there watching. Sorry that your mom is feeling poorly. I would not want my own dogs climbing around on me, and I feel just fine. That Toni Louise looks just like my dog Juno, though a bit smaller, and a much better escape artist. I am glad I don't have a Bo. I get tired just reading about his antics and athleticism. Hopefully your mom can get us some pictures of you when you get settled in your new house.

dkzody said...

Cujo, please take good care of your mom while she makes all these trips to the new house. I hope you fill us in on all that is going on and that you and your buddies settle in quickly to the new place. What about your cat? Don't leave him behind.